Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
97 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 94

acolds, John Sauser, BlackBeerd, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 70 71 72 (73) 74 75 76 ... 144 »

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

PackardDon wrote:
I think that a bent axle is more likely than a bent drum so that is something to check. Without the drum, check the axle run-out.

I agree with Don. More likely a bent axle than warped drum or backing plate. Easy enough to check as he suggests.

Posted on: 2021/4/27 11:58
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Awesome. That would be so exciting if it was a bent axle.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2021/4/27 13:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
I thought Napa would not turn that drum because they found it was bent or warped?

Posted on: 2021/4/28 2:41
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

r1lark
See User information
Quote:

Tobs wrote:
I thought Napa would not turn that drum because they found it was bent or warped?

Tobs, I noted the same thing. The drum/hub assembly is warped when off the axle. Not saying the axle could also be bent - perhaps there was some type of incident that caused the warped drum that could also have bent the axle.

Bottom line, it would be a good idea to check the axle for straightness also.

Posted on: 2021/4/28 7:41
Paul
www.studebakerskytop.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Kevin; Have you tried the drum on the other side? remove the key and smooth the edges of the keyway on axel and in drum. Dell

Posted on: 2021/4/28 9:16

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Re: KPack
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
It's definitely possible that both the axle and drum are bent. Could be related to whatever incident blew out the driver's front shock. We'll be checking both tonight.

Last night I had an hour to work, so I pulled the drums off and compared my shiny new Kanter shoes to the NAPA ones. The lining is thinner on the Kanter shoes, and the webbing thickness is the same as my original shoes. I noted that the hole that the parking brake lever mounts through is not large enough on the Kanter shoe to allow the pin to go through. I had to drill out the hole a bit larger. After that I reassembled everything in a few minutes....I'm getting really good at removing and reassembling these brakes.

Plenty of room for adjustment now on the rear. I'm going to pull the drums off the front tonight and try the NAPA shoes on the front to see if they will fit. If so, I'll run with those.

Just need to figure out the drum/axle. And wait to see if the tires ever arrive.

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  Kanter vs NAPA.jpg (145.79 KB)
1059_608ada3313ab9.jpg 975X1300 px

jpg  Kanter shoes installed.jpg (167.04 KB)
1059_608ada471c083.jpg 975X1300 px

Posted on: 2021/4/29 11:09
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

cortes121
See User information
You'll be able to disassemble and reassemble those brakes with your eyes closed here soon. Great work!

Posted on: 2021/4/29 14:49
- Anthony

1955 Packard Clipper Custom
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Had a few minutes tonight so I swapped the warped rotor over to the other side to check to see if it is the drum or axle that is warped. It's definitely the drum. I took a video showing it, then put the good drum back on the same axle and spun it to show the difference.

Also put the NAPA shoes on the fronts, even though the old shoes were still pretty thick. Figured I spent money on new shoes so why not?

Adjusted the fronts using Ross's method for eccentric adjustment. I'm thinking I should turn the front drums....they have sticky spots in the video. I'll dial in all the adjustments when I get the tires on.

VIDEO:

Posted on: 2021/4/29 23:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Be sure to also check the shaft as anything that could bend a drum like that may have also damaged the shaft.

Posted on: 2021/4/30 2:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Not much to report here. Just trying to get things together to get wheels back on the car and the car off the lift.

I got the wheels painted and ready for tires. Primed with Eastwood epoxy primer, then painted with PPG single stage urethane. I used the same paint code that body was painted in (got it from thy previous owner). If these weren't wheels I would have done a lot of sanding and filler primer before painting....the finish isn't great. But since only the outer 3/4" will be the only part seen, I'm not too broken up about it.

Checked the color versus the car....looks a bit different, but that may be because the car is dirty and hasn't been washed or polished in a long while.

Replaced my diff gear oil with 85W-140 based on what others have done here. Also picked up a bunch of brake fluid to begin bleeding the system after I get the warped drum figured out.

Tires show up on Friday. Hope to have the car off the lift on Saturday, one way or the other.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2021/5/4 10:15
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 70 71 72 (73) 74 75 76 ... 144 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved