Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 122

Joe Krzan, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 »

Re: V8 Pistons
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Why not custom made rods to allow use of off-the-shelf SBC pistons???? Would that cost more or be less desireable than what u have in mind with custom Pontiac rods???

Posted on: 2009/4/2 21:14
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
The rods i speak of already have been produced. it is cheaper to use what is already available, or slightly modify them than to start from scratch if you do not have the ability to make the rods yourself. i'm try'n to stay away from a rod that is over 7" long if at all possible.

Posted on: 2009/4/3 18:46
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Parts Wizard
See User information
I know this has been quite a while, but here's some good news. Egge Machine is tooling up to make the 4 1/8 bore 374 Packard V8 pistons with the steel strut. All sizes will be available. As soon as I can get an approximate completion date I will post it here.

Posted on: 2011/8/25 11:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
this is great news. thanks for putting the effort forth.

i was fortunate enough to get a set of OEM pistons in standard size and balanced, but maybe one day i will need an oversize, who knows.

you guys every thought about making the bearings for these cars. i hear that getting a .010 rod bearing is a pita, cause of backorder. or do you guys just not make that kind of thing?

thanks,

Hank

Posted on: 2011/8/25 11:45
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
That Egge is reproducing the OEM piston is good news for those who are doing a stock build.

IIRC, the last Egge pistons I got from Kanter were $552. The last custom forgings I bought were $800. For anyone doing serious engine build, that $250 extra is well spent.

As for custom rods, the last set of Oliver rods were $1750. (If anyone is interested, these are 7.25" long, BBC big end, SBC small end - sell for $1250 cash.) Cunningham rods are now $1800 and Carrillo isn't taking any custom orders at present.

jack vines

Posted on: 2011/8/25 11:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
do the 320 and 352 pistons that are made by EGGE have the steel strut or is this a first for the 374 pistons?

Hank

Posted on: 2011/8/25 11:56
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
you guys every thought about making the bearings for these cars. i hear that getting a .010 rod bearing is a pita, cause of backorder. or do you guys just not make that kind of thing?
The currently available main bearings are made in Israel and the rod bearings are made in Taiwan. I was told the minimum custom order is in the thousands of sets. The reason Packard bearings are hard to find is there are so few being built, it's not worth most vendors time to tie up thousands of dollars over the years it takes to sell that many.

jack vines

Posted on: 2011/8/25 13:14
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Parts Wizard
See User information
The 320 and 352 pistons that Egge Machine manufactures do not have the steel struts in them.

Posted on: 2011/8/25 16:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
So you think it's a pain getting .010 bearings. Put yourself in our shoes. We have bearings amde of all makes and models besides Packard, some cases the minimum is 1000 sets, in other 500. Make someBuicks, 37-50 248", 37-52 320",50-53 263", 53-56 264/322" 364,401,etc. 5 different setds JUST for Buick, about 3000+ sets, multiply say by $75, thats $200,000++. Now thing aboutrod,Chrysler, Csadillac, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Chevrolet, Desopto, Ply, Dodge, Lincoln, Mercury etc etc.

Here's an easy way to keep it from being a pain to get mains right away when you need them, send me $2,000,000 and I'll run them all for you. Oh, you want all rod and cam bearing avail asap also?? Make it $4,000,000

Or, why don't you make them and we'll buy them one at a time when we need them....but you must have them all in stock all the time

Posted on: 2011/8/25 16:16
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Parts Wizard
See User information
Egge Machine can supply the main bearing sets in standard, .010, .020 and .030. The rod bearings are not available from Egge Machine Co at this time.

Posted on: 2011/8/25 16:22
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved