Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 127

wjames, 29tons, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 »

Re: new guy questions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Perhaps it's been mentioned before, but regarding your car's positioning with the T/L system, note that for the system to work properly it must be essentially free of friction at the load arms and elsewhere. If the grease fittings at these points were ignored for years (as they often are), the needle bearings, despite a recent greasing, may still be rusty and adding unwanted friction to the system. This may work it's way out over time with the new grease, or you might consider removing the grease fitting and shooting some PB Blaster in and allowing it to work for a while before adding fresh grease. And then regrease within a few miles to force whatever residue out and replace with fresh grease.

Posted on: 2008/8/27 8:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
shes riding on coker 8.00-15s

Posted on: 2008/8/27 9:12
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Brian and O-D make very good points. You've started on the first with lube, the tires may account for a bit of measured height drop (abt 1/4" if my math correct) but in one of your earlier posts you said the suspension was only an inch or so from rebound bumper.

Lube will help that, but tires won't, so if after getting the friction out it still does not appear centered, then links would be required. If not severe, would be livable but if consistently hitting a bumper over every rough spot in road, then it will feel like your truck (or at least my truck).

Posted on: 2008/8/27 9:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
My truck feels like the axles are welded to the frame.

the cars ride feels alright for now.

On a different subject, How much wold this car be worth? I need to insure it, and the question has come up.

I saw a restored one going for $11,000.

Posted on: 2008/8/27 11:03
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
Shes insured and registered! I got my plates on thurs., and took her to her first car show/cruise night the same night!! It was a big hit! She purrs down the highway at 55 or so (speedo no workee) very nicely. I brought my dad and one of my friends along, and we cruised along the highway with all the windows open, and we were still able to carry on normal conversation. Modern day car designers should be ashamed!

Posted on: 2008/9/5 23:55
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
mikec wrote: Shes insured and registered! I got my plates on thurs., and took her to her first car show/cruise night the same night!! It was a big hit! She purrs down the highway at 55 or so (speedo no workee) very nicely........

Mike,

Good to hear you're up and running, a job well done, now enjoy.

Posted on: 2008/9/6 0:10
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
Im lovin' it!!

still need to fix the wipers and heaters, but its coming along.

Then of course theres the stripping, sandblasting, and repainting that will come within the next year or so. But for now, im just gonna cruise!

Posted on: 2008/9/6 0:29
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
And does anyone know how to remove the wiper switch from the dash?

Posted on: 2008/9/7 15:51
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here's a breakdown of switch assy although I messed up the sequence in pict. Bezel and nut go on sw assy before sweep adjust knob. After disconnecting bowden cable from wiper motor, everything else is removed from under dash.

There is a latch release notch on the end of knob. Use a small screwdriver and maneuver the washer aside to give clearance so you can push up and release the latch while pulling to remove the knob. Remove the washer and spring and the sweep adjust will just pull off. You can remove the nut with needle nose or socket if you have one small enough. Note the location of vacuum hoses as they must go back on correct ports or vacuum will leak.

NOTE: This is only switch removed this way. All other knobs are removed same way, but bezels have a hidden captive nut and have to have a special tool to unscrew.

Attach file:

jpg  (15.58 KB)
209_48c4435ad51dc.jpg 640X188 px

Posted on: 2008/9/7 16:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
Thank you, hh56!

My wipers dont work worth a damn, and i can hear a hissing noise coming from the back of the switch.

Posted on: 2008/9/7 16:52
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved