Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 142

BigKev, 109settle, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 14 »

Re: Chuck's 48 Deluxe Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Making a sleeve type is what I'll likely end up doing. Sounds like a good idea. I was even thinking about a large snap ring. Don't know if the temps have changed since I haven't driven it after install yet. While I was putting it back together, my mother was doing some gardening and disturbed a nest of hornets in the ground, sending a couple hundred in my direction. I'm on day 2 and spray can 4 in fighting them off. Still about 20-30 left and still pissed. Since I'm allergic to bees, I'll let them have the car for now...
Prior to working on thermostat, the temps ran hot in as little as 7 to 10 minutes if not driving. It varied depending on outside temperature. On a day above 85F, it would be near the hot end of guage after a 6 mile city drive. On an average day, (70F-80F) it would stay in upper third of guage while driving.

Posted on: 2009/8/27 15:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Now that my little battle with the bees is over with, I got the thermostat installed with a homemade sleeve retainer from exhaust pipe which should do just fine. I'll find out later when (if) it starts how the temps run. Also found a little piece of printed paper above glovebox. It can't be read from the pic below but it has the following codes/numbers on it: 2262 A 32674 FSE FRCP FAHD BL WR 66..
Also handwritten are 233 at the bottom and DL13 on the far right. Anyone know what these codes mean? I figure it pertains to this car as the first 2 sections of numbers match my cars ID numbers.

Attach file:

jpg  (113.82 KB)
1470_4a9d5f797a332.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (113.88 KB)
1470_4a9d5fa481c98.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (151.52 KB)
1470_4a9d5fbd5a66e.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (75.44 KB)
1470_4a9d5fd39fc60.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (78.00 KB)
1470_4a9d5fea70e54.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (145.45 KB)
1470_4a9d60095b4e0.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/9/1 12:55
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There was a start of discussion and some info on these numbers herehttp://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=13183#forumpost13183

Posted on: 2009/9/1 17:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
That answered one of them. The FAHD is most likely fresh air heater/ defroster which I do have. I thought this might have been the build sheet but wasn't sure. Cool to find, but kind of unimpressive looking.

Posted on: 2009/9/1 18:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The 'A' between 2262 and 32674 is the paint code, Lowell Gray Metallic. The last number '66' is the trim code, gray blue broadcloth with gray and blue stripe.

It looks to me like you have a cast water outlet from a 356 engine which would explain the lack of a wire thermostat retainer. The 356 uses the sleeve type retainer similar to the one you fabricated.

Posted on: 2009/9/1 22:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Now that's some good info to know! So far, I've found evidence of at least 3 different colors on the car. So it's had many faces over time.
As long as the water neck I have will work, then it can stay. It's very solid with no internal pitting.
Got the car to start again yesterday and again today. Starter cranks normally only if clutch pressed, that's easy to live with. Next, I'm thinking of installing a one-way flow valve in the fuel line to carb since it loses it's prime in one day.

Posted on: 2009/9/3 0:33
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Next, I'm thinking of installing a one-way flow valve in the fuel line to carb since it loses it's prime in one day.

Assuming you're speaking of the mechanical fuel pump, it has a set of one-way valves in it, so why not just replace them. The balance of the pump may need service anyway.

Posted on: 2009/9/3 9:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Assuming you're speaking of the mechanical fuel pump, it has a set of one-way valves in it, so why not just replace them. The balance of the pump may need service anyway.

That's the odd part since I just had the fuel pump rebuilt by Then & Now a couple weeks ago. That's on pg. 4. Either it evaporates or leaks back down through pump. Currently, I keep a few cans of starting fluid in trunk and just give it a few shots for its' first start up of the day.

Posted on: 2009/9/7 23:46
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'd think with that symptom you have a carb problem of some type. Maybe weeping or a porous casting or with todays gas, an extreme case of evaporating from engine heat buildup after engine shut off. Even if pump valves leaking, don't see how it would get lower than inlet of float bowl. Mine evaporates over the several days (weeks) between starts so use an electric pump for a minute or so before trying to start.

Posted on: 2009/9/8 8:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
I may have solved the fuel draining problem without adding or replacing a flow-valve. There is some weeping from the carb, but I don't think it's enough to dry out overnight. I've found a conventional air filter that will fit inside the stock air cleaner base. Just had to fabricate a lid for it since I didn't have an original and didn't want to alter one. The filter I found is the right diameter but just a bit high. After install, I started the car and let it run then shut it down for the night. I went out this afternoon and tried it and the car fired right up. Also took it for a good ride through town and temps stay right on the 3/4 mark on the guage. They only get hotter if I idle it for an extended time.

Attach file:

jpg  (77.81 KB)
1470_4aa803ae592a7.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/9/9 14:36
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 14 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved