Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
170 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 170

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 81 82 83 (84) 85 86 87 ... 120 »

Re: The Duchess Project: 1940 Super 8 Convertible Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Quite a day for the Duchess and me!

When I pulled in, the last car in my class on the field, the classic open cars, 1936-48, in my class were awesome. I couldn't come close, but lo and behold, Imet the point requirements for 3rd Place and took it. The Rolls next to me took 2nd. A 38 Cadillac took 1st. I was so excited because except for my experience in 1969, the car has nit been judged. And then to top the day off, fellow members selected me and the Duchess for the Larry Doroux Award for contributions to the hobby. It was an amazing day! The door handles looked pretty good.

Attach file:

jpeg  (245.22 KB)
1067_5b4c2d6721f60.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (137.01 KB)
1067_5b4c2d757767a.jpeg 1280X720 px

jpg  (65.27 KB)
1067_5b4c2d7e5d75f.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2018/7/16 0:30
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Joe,

Congratulations to both youself and "The Duchess".

A great reward for all the hard work that's gone into getting the Duchess to where she is today. Reach around and pat yourself on the back.

Well done!

Posted on: 2018/7/16 1:21
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Joe

Congratulations to you and your Duchess, worth all the hard work and perseverance its taken to arrive here, a much deserved reward. Of course, ownership of that magnificent Packard is a reward all by itself.

Steve

Posted on: 2018/7/16 17:33
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
AUXILIARY RADIATOR FAN: If because of global warming, freeway grid-lock, or, like me, you're planning a trip to CA to submit yourself to both, you might be thinking of slapping on a 6v fan. Gird yourself.

I purchased online a 6v fan, mounting brackets, and thermostat control switch from Macs Radiator, an Oregon radiator repair company. They had rebuilt my tanks and installed a new core. When the stuff arrived, the Portland facility couldn't install it for a few weeks because of vacation schedules and backlog. The Portland company they send backlog work to couldn't do it either for the same reason. OK. I called the Salem office and they said they could, so I drove the Duchess 40 miles to Salem.

After a few hours, they decided they couldn't install it without removing the grill assembly, so they would need the car for a couple days. They would also need the wiring harness and relay for it, which arrived from Portland while I was there. I would need a ride home, so I told them not to install and drove home.

They had suggested Gibson's Auto & Electric which does a lot of custom and vintage car work. I made an appointment and brought the car in Monday. Over the weekend I removed the radiator splash pan in hopes they could install without removing the nose cone (grille assembly).

Gibson's is a very large and clean shop with a couple dozen vintage (Are '50s, '60s' and '70s cars vintage now?) cars. Don Gibson tossed out options for installing and wiring the fan, switch placement, function and finishing. After looking at the front end, he assured me, without removing the grille, they would install the fan high on the radiator where the hottest water comes in from the head. The thermostaticly controlled switch had a rotary knob for setting the temperature to turn the fan on from 180 to 240 degrees at the bottom of the tank. Once the temp is set where we want it, it should be be secured with a piece of tape.

I also want a master vintage switch under the dash to override the thermo-switch either on or off. If I'm through driving for the night or a couple hours, I can turn off the fan and let the engine cool down normally, saving the battery. If, and I think this would be rare, if the fan doesn't come on when it should, I can turn it on without getting out of the car on the freeway and adjusting the thermo-switch. He said the vintage switch had a 10-32 stem, so I modified the knob of a broken doorhandle by drilling its stem from the handle, cutting off its stem, and threading the stem 10-32 to screw on to the vintage dash switch.

Gibson's is thorough, too. Don started by checking out what I brought. He bench tested the fan which claimed to draw 3.2 amps, 750 CFM. It actually drew 2.1 amp directly attached to the battery with barely enough wind to move a piece of paper. He called Macs to confirm it was a 6v fan. They sent another "6v fan" with no difference in performance, unless connected to a 12v battery. The Spal harness/relay they sent to go with it was 12v also.

Don set about sourcing the correct components. He found and ordered 6 volt 40 amp Relays from NY.

For the fan, I had contacted Scotty's Cooling Fans, RI but had to leave a voicemail and didn't hear back for a couple days. In the meantime I had ordered the "6v fan" from Macs. Don called Scotty's also and had to leave a VM. Someone probably needs to forward calls to a cell. He contacted Speedway, but the 6v they offer is made in China, no CFM rating provided, and had poor consumer ratings. Passed on that one. He checked with Flex-A-Lite and Hayden - No 6 volt fans offered. At Maradyne Cooling, TX, he obtained a 6-volt Fan and mounting kit with a CFM rating manufactured by Maradyne in Mexico.

Gibson's will wire it up and cover the wiring in vintage asphalt casing to match what we have for all the other wiring.

For a complete install of the right fan in the right place, with a reliable thermal control and relay plus proper and some special switching, that suits a vintage car, we have $500-600 in components and 8 hours labor.

But I wouldn't go to CA this month without it.

Posted on: 2018/8/1 13:17
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary Kulp
See User information
I was told,when I was going to install a Scott 6 volt Fan,that you need to use an alternator, as the generators cannot supply enough current, for a long period of time. Good luck with your install. Its great, to not have to worry about over heating in any situation.

Posted on: 2018/8/1 14:18
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I find this very surprising, several of my friends have installed 6-volt cooling fans on Packard and Hudsons; they have performed perfectly in terms of cooling and were completely compatible with stock 6-volt systems, well within the performance range of the stock generator.

Posted on: 2018/8/1 14:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I have the correct rebuilt generator (with cast pulley) in the Duchess now, but I did buy a 6v alternator modified with a larger width pulley for the larger Packard fan belt. We decided to keep it original. I could take it along, but 5 years ago, the first time I drove to Pebble, I took a ton of tools and spare parts and the only things I had to do was "wash" the clutch of rear engine seal oil and replace the voltage regulator. EVERYTHING on the car is in much better shape than it was then. I'll see what Don advises.

Posted on: 2018/8/1 14:55
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I did buy a 6v alternator modified with a larger width pulley for the larger Packard fan belt.

Did you get the alternator and pulley from Antique Auto Battery or is there someone else carrying the large width pulleys?

Posted on: 2018/8/1 16:32
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Yes, I did. But there is a place that makes a black one that looks very much like the generator it replaces that costs twice as much like $500-600.

Posted on: 2018/8/1 17:37
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The Gener-Natorhttp://www.gener-nator.com which is an alternator built into the customers original generator case for around $1000+ is the most expensive option for wide belt cars but looks very stock for those who are wanting that detail.

The PowerGenhttp://www.qualitypowerauto.com/item_543/6-Volt-GM-Positive-Ground.htm which looks like a 50-60s generator is available from several places and must be the one you are thinking of. The price is about right to what you mentioned but the widest stock pulley on those I have seen available is 5/8 or 3/4". If that is the one you mentioned do you know of a place that sells it with a wide pulley?

When I last checked only Antique Auto Battery had a wide pulley. They specially machined one for Mike (Su8overdrive) using his original generator pulley for a pattern when he bought his alternator and then made it available to others. AFAIK it is sold only with their modern looking alternator. Just wonder if that has changed.

Posted on: 2018/8/1 18:35
Howard
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 81 82 83 (84) 85 86 87 ... 120 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved