Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
47 user(s) are online (31 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 44

Joel Ray, CarFreak, curpack, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10)

Re: new guy questions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Check hoses. If the vacuum source is hooked up to wrong port, then when sweep knob is at one extreme, the port is uncovered. If you move knob and hiss stops, then that is issue.

EDIT: After all these years, wiper motor may be dry also. Here is a procedure that may help and believe several suggested air tool oil instead of the NLA Trico oil. My car has been converted to elect wipers so haven't tried the procedure or oil but air oil seems logical.

Attach file:

jpg  (41.69 KB)
209_48c44fd9982db.jpg 258X773 px

jpg  (22.37 KB)
209_48c451464576c.jpg 640X405 px

Posted on: 2008/9/7 16:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
How do you register and insure a car with no wipers or heater (defroster)? Is there no inspection where you are?

I'm not knocking it, just curious.

Posted on: 2008/9/7 17:26
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
California doesn't have any yearly inspections except for Smog every two years. But all Packard due to age would be exempt.

Posted on: 2008/9/7 17:41
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think it also depends greatly on the mood of the person at DMV, whether they get static from you, and whether the car is out of system more than 5 yrs.

When a friend went to register a 53 after several years non-op, they gave each other a mutual hard time and he had to have a very thorough CHP inspection. I had a 54 in similar circumstances and just had the DMV guy walk outside and look at the numbers.

My first Patrician was also non op, owners had signed pink on wrong line, both deceased, but I had to send registered letters to last known, present unopened to DMV to prove status, and then post bond but no mechanical inspection other than numbers. Go figure.

Posted on: 2008/9/7 17:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
If the vehicle is registered as an antique, there is no inspection. at all. Even though mine had not been registered since at LEAST the 60's, luckily i found out that a local PD had a department plate, so, after one of my best experiences at dmv, they used that, and i got plates no prob.

Posted on: 2008/9/9 9:12
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
Regular vehicles do have to be inspected, and most places are very strict about it. My truck (see sig) is heavy enough (8700 lbs) to require a different inspection, which many places are not licenced to do. One of the local car dealers is, but they have tried to scam me the last two times I went there. I am lucky to be both quite skilled with general automotive work, and a natural skeptic. The last time I was there they told me i needed, among many other things, new rotors which would total alone over $350 U.S. I told them outright they were lying, and my friend, who runs a home built 10 second mustang, told me they were fine. It took a long time but i finally found a shop that doesnt habitually lie.

Posted on: 2008/9/12 16:15
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved