Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
80 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 76

Tobs, Gary Kulp, 39Rollson, Dealer1, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 90 91 92 (93) 94 95 96 ... 147 »

Re: Stewart
Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
It is way too cold out so not getting much shop time.

I have all the needed parts for the steering column but I need to repaint it so it is not going back together just yet.

I put the right side door aside for now and put the left side up on the operating table. You can see that I never even removed the trim yet. I started inspecting it and was surprised at the good condition it was in until I started tapping on the bottom of it. Fortunately, that is the only soft spot. I have already cut it all out. Should be able to patch it next week when it warms up.

Attach file:

jpg  LeftSideDoor.jpg (175.15 KB)
5209_61f1e8c8850af.jpg 1920X1080 px

jpg  JustGreat.jpg (221.66 KB)
5209_61f1e8e2c69f2.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2022/1/26 19:40
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Re: Stewart's 1955 Packard 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I may be wrong, but I think a lot of the steering column parts Packard used in the V8 cars were shared with other make too. I would think the top part where the shift lever goes would be one of them. Worth a try on a GM or Ford or AMC parts site for one of these. Good luck.

Posted on: 2022/1/27 12:18
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
In two days this project blog will be 9 years old. It just topped 200K in views and I still do not have a Packard to drive. GAH!

I was not going to buy this Ebay flange for the steering column. I was just going to go with what I had, broken tab and all. Then I dropped it on the concrete floor of my shop. It hit on the edge and knocked it out of round. It was probably still usable but what's $65 after 9 years.

Attach file:

jpg  NewFlange.jpg (47.78 KB)
5209_6205aaa20b967.jpg 567X1008 px

Posted on: 2022/2/10 19:21
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
We had a couple of warm days last week and I was able to paint the 3 main steering wheel parts components. Went out today with the sole purpose of putting the gear shifter back in place as it was a pain to remove.
I was surprised as to how easy it was to do. It just popped into place with a little silicone spray.
The worst of winter should be behind us here in KY so hope to get out more often now. I might just get this steering column completed this week.

Attach file:

jpg  SteeringColumn1.jpg (92.07 KB)
5209_621c182bb7232.jpg 1008X567 px

jpg  SteeringColumn2.jpg (114.31 KB)
5209_621c1843aeee4.jpg 1008X567 px

Posted on: 2022/2/27 19:39
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
That looks great. What's your process for painting the interior pieces? Did you strip them down to bare metal? What kind of primer, etc?

I'm going to be doing the same to everything but my dash as soon as it warms up. I've never really painted before.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2022/2/27 21:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
I am no expert at painting. In fact, I barely rate a novice. I do have a good deal of "YouTube over-confidence" though.
Check out the youtube channel for 'Paint Society'. I have spent the better part of a year watching his videos and learning some of his processes. I have been practicing with the sealer and primer on the larger parts.
I did not strip these interior parts to bare metal. I scuffed them up real good with 220 grit. and then primed them. When that dried, I scuffed up the primer with a 600 grit that I had lying nearby. The trick here is getting it clean with a "pre-paiting prep" cleaner between each layer.
Now the clear coat is a whole other animal that I am still fighting. Somehow I keep spraying too much and getting runs. I need more practice with that.

Posted on: 2022/2/28 19:34
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
Does this section of the steering column look correct? It's "springing" so, it appears to work correctly.

I took pictures as I dissembled but somehow missed taking one of the assembled units.

Attach file:

jpg  Steering4.jpg (177.65 KB)
5209_621ea9bfe282e.jpg 1134X2016 px

Posted on: 2022/3/1 18:20
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56Clippers
See User information
Yes, that looks right to me, it matches mine and the diagram. It can be assembled multiple ways and still work. The springing is what you need to minimize wear on your new part. Just remember to grease it. The lack of lubrication is what caused mine to fail.

Posted on: 2022/3/1 23:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
The steering column has been repainted and re-assembled. I do still need to clean up the reverse switch and install the new plug on the wire harness. I have to be real careful with that as the two harnesses are no longer color-matched but, I have that under control.

Also started taking all the bits and pieces off that left side door. Now I remember why I did not disassemble it at the same time I did the right side door a few years ago. That clip that holds the door handle in place is a PITA with surface rust. It is going to take a drimmel to get it apart.

Attach file:

jpg  Reassembled1.jpg (79.55 KB)
5209_623272adc5669.jpg 567X1008 px

jpg  Reassembled2.jpg (81.16 KB)
5209_623272bcc3769.jpg 567X1008 px

jpg  I-HateThisPiece.jpg (82.38 KB)
5209_623272c9edc5a.jpg 1008X567 px

Posted on: 2022/3/16 18:31
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Robert
See User information
Quote:

Stewart Ballard wrote:
Shield your eyes! All my gold parts came back today from being refinished.

I replaced the 2 larger scripts on the rear quarter panels a couple of months ago so all the gold is complete.

Now I have the Clint Eastwood & Lee Marvin version of 'Gold Fever' in my head and can't get it out.

They look great! The paint is gone on my upper brass radiator tank, I'm considering polishing it and sealing it with a clear powdercoat. That idea got my wheels turning, and I've been thinking about brass powdercoating from a quality local outfit for my script. It could end up looking like a less nice-looking version of yours.

Posted on: 2022/3/17 16:06
- 1956 Patrician
- 1990 Miata - V8 swap under construction
- 2021 Civic Type R
- 2012 Yukon Denali - to tow the other three around
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 90 91 92 (93) 94 95 96 ... 147 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved