Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 151

r1lark, John Iaccino, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Severe diff noise
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
My 1950 Series 23 Touring Sedan uses a 3.9 ring and pinion. This car is automatic (no overdrive). The ratio is nearly ideal. I can cruise at 60-65 mph with no strain. The hill climbing is fine. With a 4.1 ratio the engine would be turning 5% higher rpm on the freeway.

Posted on: 2012/5/20 22:49
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Without bothering to check the spec book, I believe the 4.1 was probably the factory-standard ratio for an overdrive-equipped car so for typical driving it probably wouldn't be quite ideal, but you should still be able to cruise comfortably at 60mph or a bit more, albeit at a slightly higher engine rpm as Fred has indicated. I have several friends with OD equipped cars with the 4.1, and when their OD is inoperative, they still cruise happily at 60 or so.

Posted on: 2012/5/21 8:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Since you have gone this far, if I read this correct. I would see about getting a torque wrench and check the rotation torque. When I did mine I couldn't figure out why mine would read higher at one point than another when rotating about 360 degrees, until my brother started to take it back apart and found I hadn't seated the dust seal all the way down.

Posted on: 2012/5/21 9:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
I waited for 2 months for the new outer diff oil seals. I used a modern full rubber jacket seal. Hope it works well. The originals from Kanter/Max Meritt was too expensive for me. About R400 SA Rands compared to the R30 Sa Rands for the ones I put in. I can get the numbers if you want as I bought some extras in case I mess it up on install.

The test drive proved successfull -no diff noises , only some small gear noise from the gearbox which is normal. Thus far the seals seem to hold as I did not detect any leaks. I hope that the pinion shaft seal will be all right as I also used a modern rubber seal in the original seal fitting.

Here is some photos. It was a hell of a hard job to remove everything and put it back again!

Attach file:

jpg  (77.42 KB)
484_5017d88b55742.jpg 816X612 px

jpg  (68.00 KB)
484_5017d895197e3.jpg 816X612 px

jpg  (94.94 KB)
484_5017d8a0ae4ab.jpg 816X612 px

jpg  (60.87 KB)
484_5017d8c5164ef.jpg 612X816 px

Posted on: 2012/7/31 8:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Barrie,

Good to hear it all worked out so well. That's quite a saving in cost between the locally available and Max/Kanter seals!

Posted on: 2012/8/1 20:37
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Yes that was a big saving. I hope that the modern seals will be allright. I am planning a trip to a carshow this weekend so will be able to test.

Posted on: 2012/8/3 3:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Glad that you can take it to a show. Enjoy the trip and post some pictures.

Posted on: 2012/8/3 12:55
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved