Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 99

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

drum brake removal
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc gonzo
See User information
I'm having a hard time removing the drums off my 51. Is their a clip, or bolt? Next course of action will be heat and hammer unless you guys tell me otherwise.

Posted on: 2012/5/19 0:54
Packard on a budget
 Top  Print 

Re: drum brake removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
If you are removing the rear drums, you need a substantial wheel puller. Leave the nut on several turns as when the drum breaks loose it may come off the axle and damage something - maybe you! Be patient - it may not break loose at first.

Attach file:

jpg  (2.29 KB)
23_4fb739be10f82.jpg 93X140 px

Posted on: 2012/5/19 1:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
You didn't mention whether this was front or rear.
Randy's advice is good for the rear.
If the drums are already loose, make sure to back off on the adjustment for the brake shoes as wear to the drums can leave a ridge on the outer rim where there is no shoe contact.

Posted on: 2012/5/19 1:18
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc gonzo
See User information
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm starting with the rear then moving to the front.

Posted on: 2012/5/19 13:38
Packard on a budget
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Check out my project blog for info on the breaks as they are basically the same as my '54. The rear drums are basically "pressed-on" to the axle, so it requires a puller similar to the one posted above to be able to "unpress" it. Nothing else will remove that drum without damaging it.

You may be able to rent a puller from your local parts store. You need a tapered axle drum puller. It must be the style that attaches to the lug bolts, and not the rim of the drum.

Posted on: 2012/5/19 15:18
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Lowell Fast
See User information
Big Keiv,
May I suggest the "removing the rear drums" be added to the FAQ forum since this is a problem that plagues both pre war and Post war members.
Most members that need the puller have never seen anything like it unless they are some old Chrysler car enthusiast.
There is also the chance of injury to the member or the drum rim if one tries anything other than the Dogbone Puller.

Posted on: 2012/5/19 21:12
1939 - 120 ,4 dr / overdrive
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Randy Checkout Post "54 patrician brake drum question"

I've never tried this, but one way is to loosen the nut, drive the car on a rough road. And than when you get back it should come right off. Also don't forget to back off the adjustment for the brakes.

My first brake drum came off with a load bang and that was after it was there for sometime with out me doing anything but leaving pressure on it.
Wes

Posted on: 2012/5/21 7:06
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Driving the car with a loose nut(besides the driver) can damage the axle taper and the axle. Why take the chance?

Posted on: 2012/5/21 8:34
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Fully agree with Randy. And it can also damage the taper surface within the brake drum. Buy, rent or borrow the right tool and do it the right way to prevent unpleasant consequences.

Posted on: 2012/5/21 8:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Before referring to anyone as a nut, I would look into all means and use what works!

If you would search the internet this is a common problem with old cars and new cars, most people seem to get by with a penetrating oil, others have found the Heat and Beat works for them and last but not least they just cut it off.

At times it helps to keep an open mind, just because you have never tried it doesn't mean it doesn't work. I'm not saying to take the nut all the way off and drive from here to Tim Buck Tu. Just back the nut off a turn or maybe a half, and drive the car around the block. A rocking back and forth should apply enough side force to break it loose.

Posted on: 2012/5/21 10:13
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved