Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
164 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 163

Dennis Miller, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Trans fluid change: What else to do?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
What exactly is the "Groan".My 56 Patrician is a little noisy between 45-55 but I am not sure I would call the noise a Groan.I always thought is was the trans or engine but the car shifts ok (25-30) without any noise.My car sat for 10 years before I bought it and the trans did Groan when it shifted. I switched to B&M trickshift and now it shifts fine. Is the groan a mjor issue?

Posted on: 2012/5/25 10:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
GTO, Ross can comment with the most authority here but the "groan", sometimes called a "moo", occurs on engagement of the direct drive clutch; the speed at which it occurs is thus related to how much throttle you're giving it and the adjustment of the throttle pressure linkage and not to road speed per se. Groans and moos generally portend problems ahead.

Posted on: 2012/5/25 10:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
So do clunking shifts.

I'll treat it gently and ride it till it gets worse, I suppose. I wish we had a good diagnostician available locally. No idea who to believe on this.

Do I get a takeout from Mike and send it away for a rebuild and have it ready? To whom do I send it?

For the moment, sweating out the windshield. The insurance folks okd it, then after it arrived wanted to reevaluate because the rubber cost so much. Now they have okd it again,,,I hope...

Posted on: 2012/5/25 20:38
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For the moment, sweating out the windshield. The insurance folks okd it, then after it arrived wanted to reevaluate because the rubber cost so much. Now they have okd it again,,,I hope...

Granted, the rubber is not cheap but if they are complaining about $250 in relation to the glass, then the windshield must have been dirt cheap and someone must have plenty of them.

I think there are only a couple of good Twin Ultra trans places reasonably close to you -- or at least they're more on your side of the country. Ultramatic Dynamics if he is still doing them and Ross.

Posted on: 2012/5/25 20:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ross did my Twin Ultra and I couldn't be more pleased with the result, but he did insist on having the complete car, so if that's still his MO, driving to MD and hotel costs (or transporting the car) is part of the cost equation to consider.

Posted on: 2012/5/25 20:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear GTO:

Probably the Direct Drive Clutch or the High range clutch slipping from too little pump pressure resulting from worn bushings.

At 45-50 mph the motor is at its optimum torque to rear wheel range and so stress is highest. If you take the pages from the manual to a transmission builder they should be able to hook up gauges and check the pressures on the road.

Posted on: 2012/5/26 11:12
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You can hook up the gauges to the test ports on the Ultra with the car on jack stands and test the pressure to see what they are. Thats how I discovered, with Ross's guidance, that my bushings were shot and why I don't have a direct drive lock up on my unit.

Posted on: 2012/5/26 11:57
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Thats how I discovered, with Ross's guidance, that my bushings were shot and why I don't have a direct drive lock up on my unit.

Would you kindly elaborate on this?

Posted on: 2012/5/26 21:44
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
PAt,

I think kev, means he did away with ultramatic, put one of those traitor trans in. Which driving on a regular bases, lasts longer. etc..

My dad put pressure lines in and routed them to rocker panel, then he hooked up gauges with plexiglass rested them on cowl, and was able to drive and read pressures.

I plan to have gauges inside under glove compartment,

but, bushings, i think aluminumized Bronze would be an up grade. i have all my inner rings for my needle bearing conversion, its in the machine shops hands now..

rik

Posted on: 2012/5/26 23:51
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, It is very common for Ultra's and Twin-ultra's to have worn bushings and shaft inside the front pump after a normal service life. Packard used these bushings almost as seals. Almost everyone inspects the pump rotors for clearance as per the overhaul instructions but neglects to consider the worn bushings and shaft. It costs about $120 to hardchrome and regrind the shaft to size and around $30 to replace the two bushings in the front pump. It makes so much difference to have the push in the back when going into direct drive rather than the groan and slippage of a deficient high range clutch pack and direct drive clutch. Best regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2012/5/27 4:48
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved