Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
40 user(s) are online (25 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 40

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

55/56 V8 damper puller
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
See page 11, engine section of service manual, picture in lower rite corner of page.

It is difficult to tell from pic in manual. Anyone that has one of these pullers can they verify that the jaws of the puller engage against the Red "H" area or against the Blue "R" area????

Attach file:

jpg  (44.69 KB)
35_4fcfd58babdbe.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2012/6/6 17:12
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Re: 55/56 V8 damper puller
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Keith, I had to make my own puller and the jaws pulled against the red H area, The other area is just a sheetmetal cover for the rubber molded to the damper. It will bend under any significant pressure.

Posted on: 2012/6/6 21:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
are you hiding an alien in the top right hand corner of the picture?

i think i just used an autozone rental puller personally.

Posted on: 2012/6/7 8:48
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
my dad made a device out square stock that went on H, bolted the two pieces together then pulled on that, something like the picture.

don't know where it is now. i have pulled on the inner pulley groove, with no problems...

i have heard that people have pulled off the rubber..

Posted on: 2012/6/7 15:46
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
i have heard that people have pulled off the rubber..
Doesn't the inertia ring press on from the back side? I don't recall it being possible to pull it off from the front.

FWIW, many engines I pull apart show signs of the damper having been removed with a BFH.

On that note, always have the damper magnaflux inspected. About half those I see have a crack up the keyway. I have developed a fix for that.

jack vines

Posted on: 2012/6/7 20:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Many thnx to everyone for replies.

Quote:
"Doesn't the inertia ring press on from the back side? I don't recall it being possible to pull it off from the front."

Yes, that is how it looks to me too. Apparently the fan belt pulley and hub are all ONE piece as far as i can tell.

But what still baffles me is the factory puller. DOes it pull at the hub or the ring????? In the book it appears to pull at the ring which is set in rubber. But the ring can only move about 1/32 - 1/16 inch until it hits the pulley grove anyway so probably no big dealeo one way or the other. It would still be nice to know tho.

Posted on: 2012/6/7 21:03
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Hi, Jack,

Thats what i thought,,but people said the rubber came out, mine was cracked, had it fixed and re ground..

Posted on: 2012/6/7 21:04
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I had one redone, new rubber vulcanized on and rebalanced by the Damper Doc in California. It is the one I'm running on Best Other. Much cheaper than Steele.

Posted on: 2012/6/7 21:07
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved