Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 112

Gar, Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

ERRORS in info
Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Hartmann
See User information
New visitor - can't help but marvel at how informative and valuable this forum is ! Some great stuff in here.

I did spot one MINOR error in some out-of-the way info. that might be of interest to my fellow Packard V-12 fans.

In the section discussing "general information" about the 1938 Senior Series, your info. claims "THE TWELVE SHARED THE SAME CHANGES AS THE SUPER EIGHT, IT ALSO USED THE SAME CHASSIS".

I suspect I know where this nonsence came from. In the late Bev. Kimes excellent book, one of her sources made the same goofy statement.

The fact is, under the sheet metal, the Packard Twelve was a MUCH heavier, more robust car, and EVERYTHING on the chassis frame, under-carriage parts, including, but not limited to springs, suspension components, wheels, brakes, king-pins, steering gear, steering knuckles, etc. reflected the heavier-duty requirements. NONE of them will interchange.

This does NOT make ANY Packard any "lesser" a car that the Twelve. Be ASSURED Packard DESERVED its reputation for providing the best possible value in any given price class. But to compare or try and confuse a Packard product from one price class to another of a MUCH more expenisve price class, is simply silly.

Posted on: 2008/8/1 18:39
 Top  Print   

Re: ERRORS in info
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Welcome to the forum Peter. What took you so long? By any chance you don't wear a CCCA ball cap and golf pants do you?

Posted on: 2008/8/1 18:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Hartmann
See User information
Hi Dave !

At least I think your name is Dave. Refresh my memory; dont you have a "356" ( Clipper Super ) and live in Ontario ?

Are you anywhere near Killarney (a resort town on the north shore of Lake Huron ? We have a Lake (amphib. aircraft owner's convention) there on the weekend of Sept. 6-7). Love to see your Clipper - as we discussed, we had a Clipper Super for many years.

Yes, I am a member of the CCCA, along with many other old car buff organizations. No, I dont wear those silly pants or hats !

Which reminds me, did you ever see my post (before I got kicked off of the AACA site) explaining to you that if you are getting an average of 15 mpg that is just fine for your engine ?

In the post that got me kicked off the AACA site, I explained that the "22 mpg" you heard, probably came from old MOBIL OIL COMPANY "Mobilgas Economy Run" info. In that post, I explained that, yes, a '47 Packard DID get 22 mpg, but you shouldnt feel bad, as that was either a six or a small eight, much lighter and less powerful cars.

The fact that "big" engined Packards are MUCH faster and more powerful then the "junior" cars... seems to get some people all upset. They think we are some kind of snobs. Nothing could be further than the truth, which is simply Packard gave a good car for the money in ALL the price classes it competed in. I cant imagine why a guy with a "junior" Packard would feel offended if Packard ALSO gave good value for the money in the much higher price classes it also competed in !

Dont forget to let me know how far you are from Killarney!

P F H

Posted on: 2008/8/1 19:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Petey; How have you been? Still living in Kingman AZ?

You should remember me from the AACA forum.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/8/1 19:47
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Hartmann
See User information
Of course I remember you, John - hope you are having fun with your '53 Patrician, and tell it that I DEMAND it treat you right !

Incidentally, Kingman is in the "other" Arizona, the hot western desert to the west of us - I am in the much cooler "high country" - just north of Prescott - in north central Arizona !

Posted on: 2008/8/1 19:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Hey Peter, you don't happen to have a spare '34 V12 speedometer with the RPM's on it, do you? I can use one if you have/know where one is.

Posted on: 2008/8/1 20:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Peter, I know Killarney well. I used to work as a game warden in the waters just west of Killarney in Fraser and Baie Finn (the only inland fjord in the world apparently) If you get a chance fly over Baie Finn and especially the Pool at the northern end where Ralph Evinrude , of the outboard engine family and the actress Francis Langford once owned an island. I now live at the west end of lake Superior or about 600 miles west of Killarney as the crow (or Lake?) flies. If you do get a chance to come here let me know and I am sure I can show you some sites you will enjoy. BTW thanks for the info on my Super Clipper. It's still only getting 15mpg but at least I know that is about all she will deliver.

Posted on: 2008/8/1 21:45
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved