Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
151 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 149

BigKev, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Gauge questions
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Drake
See User information
two of my gauges have a gold disc in the middle but, the clock seems to be silver. do you think it's just faded, been replaced, or supposed to be that way?

also, they measure 4.25 inches in diameter. replacement gauges are advertised as 5 inch, 3 and 3/8ths or smaller.

i dont want to replace them but, just rewired the whole care for 12v. do i need to do anything to my existing set up to work with all my new volts?

Posted on: 2008/8/4 15:14
 Top  Print 

Re: Gauge questions
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Drake
See User information
here's a pic.. see? i think they're f'n sweet looking already..

Attach file:

jpg  (25.91 KB)
586_48976388c378f.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/8/4 15:17
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Have you checked the parts book? At least in 1941/42 and the 22nd-23rd series, the metal finish on the instrument backgrounds was different between the junior and senior models.

Posted on: 2008/8/4 15:25
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Drake I wish I could help you on that one, but my '54 Clipper has a completely different, one year only, "sweeping" dash cluster. It does not use the three seperate gauges like the 54 seniors, and 53 and previous years use.

Posted on: 2008/8/4 15:41
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Kev, the 54 seniors (except for the ambulance and hearse) don't use the 3 clusters either. They have their own unique, one-year only instrument cluster.

Posted on: 2008/8/4 17:12
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Drake
See User information
i looked at the parts book.. but i have no idea what any of that stuff means..

Posted on: 2008/8/4 18:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Just looked at my 51 and all three center buttons are gold and match. I suspect the clock was changed at some point. I think there were several color/finish schemes . On mine the color around the center button is gray. I bought a clock from ebay and it was a different color (gold around the center button). My guess yours was replaced.

Posted on: 2008/8/4 19:24
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
When I did a 53 a few yrs ago, had great luck using transparent glass dye available then at a hobby shop. Used amber, thinned it to match what appeared to be unfaded gold color and was rather pleased with result. Also removed the lettered faces and did the background with same process which on that car was a shade of maroon as found under the center pieces .

As to the electrical, shouldn't be an issue on the gauges because parts manual says the same instrument voltage regulator is used in 55-6. Just need new light bulbs throughout (and don't forget the turn signal flasher will also need to change along with all the other stuff).

Posted on: 2008/8/4 20:01
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved