Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Need Thermostat for '47 8 cylinder
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Hi quick question, I need two Thermostats, can I find them at NAPA or any local parts or do I have to order from a known Packard Parts supplier?

Posted on: 2012/9/7 11:01
 Top  Print 

Re: Need Thermostat for '47 8 cylinder
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Napa has them - I run a 160 degree stat in 51 200. I also like to drill a small hole in them to allow all of the air to bleed out when you refill the system.

Posted on: 2012/9/7 11:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
David, drilling a small hole in the thermostat is an old trick and a good one. As you say it helps the system to bleed air out when it has been drained and refilled. Also, the small hole allows for some circulation of coolant until the thermostat opens.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/9/7 16:34
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Al
See User information
What size hole, 1/8"?
Al

Posted on: 2012/9/8 23:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Wesley Boyer wrote:
Hi quick question, I need two Thermostats, can I find them at NAPA or any local parts or do I have to order from a known Packard Parts supplier?

Wesley, why do you need two thermostats? Your Clipper can only use one at a time. Just curious...

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/9/9 15:15
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Two Packards, three motors, but should I use the old style or is it okay to use the new style?

Posted on: 2012/9/10 7:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Wes, either new or old style should fit and function well. The old style bellows type thermo should not be used in a high pressure system, but since your Clipper has only a 4-7 lbs rating the bellows should work. The decision maker, to me, would be what temp ratings are available in each style. A 160F rating is what I would use. The new style thermos tend to come in higher temp ratings. I believe the 47 Clippers use a sleeve to hold the thermo in place in the housing and later models use a spring clip. This would be a good time to make sure your radiator cap is the right one and functioning.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/9/10 10:11
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Thanks JW for the information, I re-watch my DIY video on the 1939 Packard by Mark L. and he says to use the Bellows style because it allows more water flow.
Yes it looks like I will also need a metal sleeve to hold it in place.
I found the information in the 1953 Service Technical Bulletin that talks about using the capsule type instead of the bellows due to the higher pressure in the newer cars.
Thanks again.
Wes

Posted on: 2012/9/10 13:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
As far as the size of the hole, I honestly don't know. I just used a 1/16th" bit and it seems to work ok.

Posted on: 2012/9/15 15:34
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved