Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
181 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 181

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

Re: Bad news from my compression test I think....how can car STILL refuse to start?
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Yes, the welds, and the replacement of a rivet with a screw. These tools are subjected to quite a bit of stress when in use. You don't want one to 'let go' while your fingers are busy extracting spring retainers.

The other two appear to be much earlier designs. I suppose they would work.

Posted on: 2012/9/13 17:31
 Top  Print   

Re: Bad news from my compression test I think....how can car STILL refuse to start?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Well, if I get it for next to nothing, I'll just check it out and redo the welds if need be. If the bid goes up too much, I'll pass and wait for another.

Posted on: 2012/9/13 17:34
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

N.C.23rdPackard
See User information
So I got my new (to me) valve spring compressor that was designed for these kind of motors and now I need to know what is the best way to get these valves out? I put corks in the drain holes (even the 2 small hidden ones) started with a valve that IS NOT stuck, compressed the valve spring, took out both halfs of the keeper, let the pressure off the spring, then I used the starter to bump it up so I can get my fingers under it, and that sucker is in there good! I am used to the SBC's where you just remove the valve spring and tap the valves out gently if needed. On this motor I can't get the spring out of the way UNTIL I get the valve out. I do not want to pry against the seat and can not tap it from the bottom in this application. So what is the long forgotten trick here fellas? Thanks!

Posted on: 2012/9/15 19:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Perhaps you could fabricate something with some flat iron along the lines of the tool they used. Slotted pieces below the head and another piece on top connected to a slide hammer or something to pull against. Bolt the pieces of metal together thru a spacer or some washers the thickness of the valve.

Attach file:

jpg  (22.84 KB)
209_50552c06655b3.jpg 1164X173 px

Posted on: 2012/9/15 20:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

N.C.23rdPackard
See User information
Well you are the man sir! If fleabay does not have one...and I mean ending soon, I will break out the old welder and engineering hat. Thanks!!!

Posted on: 2012/9/15 22:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Soak everything in penetrating oil and let sit. Next use the valve spring compressor to expose the stem so that you can clean off any burrs with a fine file or emery paper.

You can use spacers on top of the tappets. Once the valve is high enough you can remove the spring given the tappet is wound down. Or just keep feeding in more spacers.

The Senior motors originally had screw slots in the valve so that a drill could be used to burnish the stem prior to removal and thus prevent valve guide damage.

This is time consuming. But if you use that slide hammer thing then send the valves to a machine shop for grinding.

Also, a telescoping magnet and a screw driver will get the keepers out without using your fingers.

Posted on: 2012/9/16 7:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

N.C.23rdPackard
See User information
"But if you use that slide hammer thing then send the valves to a machine shop for grinding."

Tim, I was concerned about that too when looking at the pic of that tool, I am going to melt several ounces of lead (carefully, I hear cancer sucks!)on to the part of my tool that will come in to contact with the underside of the valve to try and prevent this from happening. I have beat on 24 GOLD plated rims before with a lead hammer (knockoffs on my friends low rider) and it was fine, so I hope it will work. I Might just loose my cool, hulk up and rip the bastards out with my engine hoist and cut a check for new valves and guides. I think that I am going to try and talk nice to it first tho.

Posted on: 2012/9/16 10:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Easy does it, you don't want to break off a valve head.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/9/16 12:28
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I just removed a set of stuck valves from a 327. My first step was to soak the valves and guides with PT Blaster. After they set for 8 hours of so, I tapped the head of the valves with a ball peen hammer (gently). I then uses small wedges between the valve stem and the lifter. All stuck intake valves came out fine. Just got them all cleaned, surfaced, and reinstalled today.

Posted on: 2012/9/16 20:18
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

N.C.23rdPackard
See User information
Well I am glad your stuck valves are playing nice, I might have a parts 49 for ya soon! lol I set out to make a slide hammer valve puller but was worried about the metal to metal contact with my valves that Tim warned about, so I am building one that has 2 loops of very strong woven cargo strap on the bottom that are crossed over each other so that when they are under the valve and you pull, it tightens down using the "Chinese finger trap" principle. A little more welding and I will be done! Hell, it MIGHT even work! We will see soon, I will post pics and results in a couple of hours either way.

Posted on: 2012/9/17 10:17
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved