Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 155

humanpotatohybrid, speedster1930, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1955-56 Clipper hood ornament
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Fred
See User information
I was at the Ypsilanti Orphan Car Show Sunday, and had a couple of guys ask me what the hood ornament on Clipper represented and if it had a name. Honestly, I've often wondered this my self. They were familiar with the Goddess and the Cormorant but not this one.

Does anyone know?

Posted on: 2012/9/24 23:14
 Top  Print 

Re: 1955-56 Clipper hood ornament
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I'd guess a comet making a turn around a planet, but in all probability I'd guess its really just a chrome thingy to ornament the nose of the car--rather like the standard ornament on the cheaper bathtubs.

Did see one at Williamsburg where the ball was plated gold and the wing was chrome--looked really cool.

Posted on: 2012/9/25 6:21
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
about the only clipper i think warrants that hood ornament is the constellation, considering that is outerspace related and the ornament looks like that.

the other clippers, im not sure what it would relate too, other then clipper is a ship and maybe that is a ship going around a plant. idk

personally i think that sould have been a constellation only ornament.

Hank

Posted on: 2012/9/25 8:59
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Perhaps it was just an exercise in streamlining so no need for a name. More than one piece of literature mentions the sweeping lines and chrome accents to accentuate the design incorporated in the new V8 cars. That certainly fits in the category of chrome accent.

It wasn't the first time something odd with not much of a theme appeared on a Packard. The basic postwar Clipper ornament which resembles mostly a blob of chrome or the Egyptian ornament which doesn't seem to fit any past Packard styling cue for example.

In the 30's there were a few ornaments that one could even call strange. The one that was actually a radio antenna for example.

Posted on: 2012/9/25 9:25
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I wonder if this is a highly streamlined version of the "donut pusher" ornament, which - itself- was a streamlined version of the goddess of speed.

On the other hand, I suppose it could also be interpreted as a ship creating a bow wave/wake, as it plows through the open water.

Posted on: 2012/9/25 19:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Ding!

Brian, I think you have it. There was at least one posted reply that said it was the "doughnut" when I asked this same question on another thread topic somewhere. Don't remember who it was, but he seemed pretty sure of himself.

Henry, your comment is great. I'd stick to that story if I was you. Now if I could just figure out what kind of airplane is on the hood of my '54 Clipper. Looks like a jet, but probably meant to be a real sleek bird of the Cormorant family.

Posted on: 2012/9/25 22:56
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved