Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
90 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 90

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: One oil pump modification now on file
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Your welcome, Jack, nice pictures, and explanation.,,I agree that bronze bushing will wear. i would like to see a needle bearing there.... of, coarse i have neelde bearing on the brain.............

thanks,

Jack...

Posted on: 2012/10/22 21:59
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
I thought I might mention the modified Packard oil pump in my '56 Pat. I can't remember the full details but it involves replacing the Packard main shaft with a longer 1/2" shaft, which I was told is marginally thicker than than the original. The pump body is reamed to accommodate the larger sized shaft and this also has the advantage of removing any previous wear. Cadillac gears replace the originals as they have a 1/2" bore to suit the shaft, and all this is supported by a 1/2" base plate, although I'm now not sure how the shaft is seated. This pump and others were modified by a gentleman in LA, the same one who had designed a modified bell housing to take a Turbo 700R4. As part of the project to fit this pump to my car, a '50's Chev electric wiper motor was fitted which works pretty well. Whether the oil pump or bell housing modification are still available I don't know, but I do know that both projects were put on hold some time ago due to the passing of the engineer who did the machining. I recall mentioning this in another post a fair while ago.

The reason I mention it again is that the pic's shown by Jack look quite similar to what I recall a pump like mine looks like. If it has a 1/2" shaft it just might be from the same source. Regards, John

Posted on: 2012/10/24 4:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Yes, agree, I'd never build a Packard pump without a new longer bushing in the pump body. The top of the pump body is where it wears and theoretically allows air to be sucked in. That's why running a quart extra oil to cover the top is a bandaid for a worn pump.

No, this pump had the OEM shaft pressed deeper into the OEM gear. It did not have the body reamed for a new bushing.

Maybe the reason the project is on hold is the same reason I'm not making any more Packard pumps. No one is buying a more expensive modified Packard pump now that the Oldsmobile conversion is available.

jack vines

Posted on: 2012/10/24 10:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
randy's ebay car,

well jack answered my question here after re-reading this thread.

the upper was never dealt with. With the pi pump,

i would go with jack for rebuild.

i may go with a one piece shaft. get rid of that sleeve.

but press a piece of stock over shaft to hold shaft up/,, shaft supported all the way up into main bearing cap.

thinking of using stainless for bushing,,and shaft.

Posted on: 2013/10/28 23:12
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
thinking of using stainless for bushing,,and shaft.

Stainless is a poor choice for shafts and bushings. I'd suggest hardened steel drill rod for the shaft and bronze for the bushing.

Posted on: 2013/10/29 8:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
Stainless galls up especially if it runs against stainless.

I use stainless hardware on high power TV transmission line and usuallu have to cut the 9/16 bolts to get them apart because of the stainless.

Jim

Posted on: 2013/10/29 10:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
well jack answered my question here after re-reading this thread.

the upper was never dealt with. With the pi pump,

i would go with jack for rebuild.

i may go with a one piece shaft. get rid of that sleeve.

but press a piece of stock over shaft to hold shaft up/,, shaft supported all the way up into main bearing cap.

thinking of using stainless for bushing and shaft

No, a one-piece shaft would not work. You'll note even on the Olds conversion, Olds engineers used a two-piece drive.

No, as previously mentioned, don't put stainless in there anywhere. A longer cast iron bushing in the top of the pump is the best bearing material.

Rikki, if you want to add some value to the re-design, use a big block Mopar bronze bushing in the hole in the block where the driveshaft goes through to mate with the distributor.

If anyone is interested, I still have a couple of the re-designed Packard pumps and they work fine on a newly rebuilt engine.

Another FWIW, I bought a pallet-load of Packard V8 parts from a shop in the Chicago area. He had been involved in some oil pump mods and there is a big box full of oil pump bodies, shafts, gears, pickups and vacuum pumps.

Since the popularity of the Olds conversion, I wonder if anyone will ever want any of those parts.

Posted on: 2013/10/29 13:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Jack,
Adding the bushing to the block is a idea I had not heard of. Would that support the upper or above the collar shaft of the oil pump?

I am not an engineer, or play one on a TV, but I always thought the 2 piece shaft and the fact that the contact parts are at the distributor and the top of the oil pump helped waller out the cast and allowed the air in.

With your additional bushing in the block, it, it would help keep the shaft straight, along with the bushing in the pump body.

Why did olds and Packard use a 2 piece shaft?

As far as the parts go, If the price is right, someone might be interested. Are they all used, or any new parts for the pumps?

Posted on: 2013/10/29 14:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
As I mentioned, the big block Mopar engines have a long driveshaft similar to the Packard and they use a bushing in the block to support the top of the shaft.

The two piece driveshaft is used to provide some flexibility for misalignment when production +/- tolerances stack up the wrong way.

It's also easier to package a replacement oil pump without a foot-long shaft sticking out there.

As to the Packard pump parts, some are new, some used.

jack vines

Posted on: 2013/10/29 16:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
OD, Jim, Jack,,

thanks,

my plan was to go as high as i could in block,,so it is being done.

that bushing is PC 780.. around 10 dollars. i am going to make a longer sleeve to give upper shaft more support. i'll give shaft a few thou of movement

also with the PI pump, since they pushed shaft down, that means there is less up in the dist. drive gear.

once i get into this i will take pictures. i was going to make a one piece drive shaft with a step to replace sleeve.

so i need to look for cast iron,,bronze is easier to machine. bronze i have.

also going to have that PI plate re surfaced. should toss it. the bushing there will help keep the shaft in alignment.

thanks again everyone.

Posted on: 2013/10/29 22:48
Riki
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved