Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
164 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 164

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard Dealerships
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

rblum
See User information
I have the original bill of sale for my 55 Clipper Constellation and the dealership is listed as "Economy Motors" 211 N. Joliet Street, Joliet Illinois. The date of sale is April 2d, 1955 to a Mr. Richard Warfel of Joliet. The sale price of the car was $3,546.10

When I looked at the listing for Illinois Joliet has 3 dealerships, two have the same address but different names. Economy Motors is not listed. Need to have someone pass some knowledge reference Economy Motors, I would like to add it to the Packard dealership listing. Just curious as to why it was not listed before.

Posted on: 2012/11/4 20:11
 Top  Print 

Re: Packard Dealerships
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Well, somehow '?conomy' and 'Packard' don't seem well suited to each other, methinks this was a resale (even though the date of sale is '55), maybe this was a used car dealership? Does the original paperwork have the Packard logo or other feature that would identify the dealer as an authorized one?

Posted on: 2012/11/4 20:37
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

rblum
See User information
Bobby, the Packard Logo is displayed prominently on the paperwork. The invoice and a separate receipt both have a handsome logo on them, looks legit.

Posted on: 2012/11/4 21:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
If you have an exact address use Google Earth Street view and see if you can see the original dealership building.

I found a picture of my cars dealership in McKeesport PA from the local historical society. I had an address but the dealership had moved around quite a bit but still in the same area of town.

From my original 1954 bill of sale I now have a picture of the dealership (posted herein) the house the car lived at most of its life and the place the guy worked. I also have the obit as my car had its original owner up until he died in 1991.

Some of these 50's dealership were a small corner affair with enough showroom for a couple of cars and usually some glass windows to the street. Nothing in signage like today or the 30's.

My cars dealer sold Packard and Edsel as indicated by the signs on the windows. I don't think car stores were all that prosperous during the mid-1950's.

Jim

Posted on: 2012/11/6 18:35
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Jim, thanks for posting a pic of J.P.Mooney at 5th and Hartman. My family bought our original 52 Mayfair from that location. We lived nearby on Lincoln Way. They were originally at the corner of 5th and Huey. I rode past that dealership on my bike when I was going to the YMCA during the summer.

Posted on: 2012/11/6 18:52
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

rblum
See User information
Jim, sounds like a great idea, I'll see if I come up with the same results you did.

Posted on: 2012/11/6 20:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
I used to work for a Television Station located at 179 Motor Ave in Salt Lake City UT. The street was re-named Social Hall Ave.

When I owned a 1939 110 coup, it came with a file of all the old papers and the bill of sale. It had been purchased at the Jackson Motor Co. located at the above address.

We moved the TV station out and were demoing some of the inside of the building and behind a wall I found two pictures of the building when it was the original Packard dealership complete with the big neon sign on the corner of the building.

Sadly I don't know who ended up with the pictures.

Jim

Posted on: 2012/11/7 19:05
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved