Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
73 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 73

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 Delux 180 radio
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Butterworth
See User information
Currently having the subject radio brought back to life. Sent the radio itself out but left the dial,station presets and control knobs in the dash. The radio now told plays but restore is looking for a solid state vibrator for durability. Anyone have any sources on this? Also,on the dash, assume the chrome knob on he left is the on/off volumn, the knob on the right does turn the station dial. What are the two black up and down switches one on either side of the dial? Also, how do the station presets work?
Thanks

Posted on: 2012/11/25 21:36
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 Delux 180 radio
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is one place for the solid state vibratorhttp://www.tubesandmore.com/products/radio_antique_equipment_parts_0?filters=Type%3DVibrators

The Pacific NW region of PI also has an exchange and conversion programhttp://www.packardsintnw.com/page6/page6.html

I believe the black switches are tone on one. The other may be either sensitivity or manual select.

Would you happen to know the number or model of your radio? If it has a motor which is operated by the buttons, I believe the buttons had to be adjusted down at the large box with a screwdriver once a particular button was pressed.

Posted on: 2012/11/25 22:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Butterworth
See User information
Howard, Thanks again for your help. Have sent this information on to the person repairing the radio, and yes, he told me it does have motor tuning which works great. I can get the model and serial number from him if this would help you get any additional information. This is some radio, the box itself seems to be made of copper. I collect old wooden radios consoles and table tops and was impressed with this radio when I took it out have it repaired, this is an 8 tube set and believe it was made by Philco radio company.
Bill

Posted on: 2012/11/26 10:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you could get the model# I would appreciate it. Was looking at some schematics of units which have motor driven tuners and was trying to correlate numbers with particular years or features. P1617 or P1630 are a couple which have motors. Also saw others.

Posted on: 2012/11/26 11:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Butterworth
See User information
Howard, the model of my radio is PA333915. If you can't find the schematic, I could try and send you a picture of the one inside the radio cover if you want.
Bill

Posted on: 2012/11/30 16:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for the number and offer. Maybe others might like a copy but at the moment I don't have a real need for the schematic other than to add to my collection. If it's convenient a photo would be nice but don't go to a lot of trouble getting one on my account.

What I would really like is if anyone has information as to how to correlate the accessory part numbers Packard issued on the radios such as the PA-333915 of your radio to the actual radio model or chassis number Philco (or the other mfgs Packard bought from) used. Here is an example of the mfgs P-1630 number shown from a Philco label which I suspect is very similar to your radio and may even be the same one.

Several prewar and a few postwar Packard schematics are available for download at www.Nostalgiaair.org but without knowing the mfgs number, not much good to us.

Attach file:

jpg  (11.42 KB)
209_50b9356c7d4bf.jpg 300X159 px

Posted on: 2012/11/30 17:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Butterworth
See User information
Howard,
Will keep on the look out for a cross reference for Packard radios and the radio mfg, will advise. Familiar with Nostalgia Air as I have large collection of 1930 and 40 wooden console and table top radios.
Bil

Posted on: 2012/12/1 10:53
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Martin OToole
See User information
Looking at getting my 1940 Delux Radio running again as well. Any suggestions as to best radio man to entrust it?

Posted on: 2012/12/7 1:37
1940 Model 1807 Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Here's my recommmendation.

Attach file:

jpg  (108.92 KB)
177_50c1f5382b8ad.jpg 1280X645 px

Posted on: 2012/12/7 8:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Harold did my radio on my 51 and did a first class job. He has my vote - prices are fair, and the work is quick. Wish he did transmissions as well.....

Posted on: 2012/12/7 21:51
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved