Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
76 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 74

JD in KC, Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Kanter wire wheels and 21st series
Home away from home
Home away from home

LJJ
See User information
Has anyone purchased the Kanter wire wheels? What is the quality like?

And has anyone fitted them to a 21st series car?

Cheers

Posted on: 2013/1/14 2:30
1963 Morris Cooper 997
1969 Austin 1800
 Top  Print   

Re: Kanter wire wheels and 21st series
Home away from home
Home away from home

LJJ
See User information
Any pics would be great

Posted on: 2013/1/14 2:42
1963 Morris Cooper 997
1969 Austin 1800
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've never purchased any for my own use but have seen them of quite a few cars - by all reports the quality is excellent but I've also heard they are no longer available from Kanters. I believe the earliest of the Kanter repro wheels didn't accept the factory hub cap and came with their own special cap, nominally the same as the factory cap but sized slightly differently. If I'm wrong on this someone will correct me.

Their 2009 advertisement for says they are available in a 15x5" rim that fits the 120 from 1935 to 1939, the 110 from 1937-1939, all 1940 to 1956 models though the 1940 - 1941 Six and the 1954 - 1956 Clipper require a inner tube and are lip-laced. They are also available in 15x6" for senior models.

For information about the rim sizes and what they fit, probably best to go directly to the source, an email directly to Kanters should give you all the information you need.

Posted on: 2013/1/14 9:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
Unfortunately, we do not carry the wire wheels any longer. Sorry that we could not help you on this one.

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products
1-800-526-1096
Ext316

Posted on: 2013/1/14 11:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
But James, you could confirm what sizes were offered and what cars they it, could you not?

Posted on: 2013/1/14 11:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I did not buy my wire wheels from Kanter but they look like the ones they used to sell. I shopped on line for the lowest price and bought a set for my 1950 Series 23. These wheels were sealed for tubeless and work fine.
However the chrome quality was worse than poor. The wheels are only about 2 years old and already are rusting through the chrome. The spokes are worse than the rim. I inquired about getting just the rusty spokes replaced with stainless steel and the cost is greater than the cost of new wheels.
My advice is make sure you get good plating. I live in San Diego and never drive the car in the wet.

Posted on: 2013/1/14 23:19
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Whose wheels are you running Fred? I have two original sets by Motor Wheel for my 400 and Caribbean. One set was rebuilt in Fresno by Vintage Wire Wheel with stainless spokes and sealed for tubeless tires.
The other set was rebuilt by Dayton Wire wheel again with stainless spokes, but they would not seal them for tubeless tires.
The third set are reproduction by Vintage Wire Wheel and have stainless spokes, but they are out of business.
Who was reproducing the wire wheels without stainless spokes?

Posted on: 2013/1/15 0:49
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved