Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
80 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 79

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1955 & 1956 Packard Side Marker Lights
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
In another forum there has been reference made and big deal stated about Packard being first with side marker lights. If a person wants to take a look back in the history of the auto industry to me this idea is nothing new. What Teague and the Packard design staff came up with, was a modern design of an old idea.

I consider the carriage lights that came on some cars in the early part of the last century,should be considered the orignal side marker lights. The one design that come to mind, is the fourside clear glass carriage lights.

Another manufacture that also had wrap around directional signal lights of a smaller design than Packard's, was the Citroen DS 19. Which was introduced at the 1955 Paris Automtoive Show in October that year.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2007/1/3 22:20
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 & 1956 Packard Side Marker Lights
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
You might be interested to know that the lights on the side of the 1955-56 Senior Packards (rear door on sedan, rear fender on coupe) are referred to as "courtesy lights" in the parts books - more intended to illuminate entry/egress for front seat passengers.

There was, however, a second bulb in each of those lights that came on with the "parking" lights, but I don't find them to be of that much benefit as a side marker, because they lack any reflex as found on true side marker lights that were implemented as mandatory equipement in 1968 (at least here in the US).

What is more "telling" are the Scotchlight hex decals, offered as a Packard-supplied dealer accessory for wheel covers of earlier Series, that I applied and trimmed down for my Senior cars. When not illuminated at night, the casual observer would never know it wasn't the standard painted center, but a reflective decal.

I have a gut feeling that "side marker" lights similar those on the 55th-56th Series were used prior to 1955, but I have not found an concrete example.

It also seems to me that 1949-50 Pontiac had a turn signal lens that followed the curve of the front fender, though not reaching around nearly so far as that of the 1955-56 Packards.

Posted on: 2007/1/4 0:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Also, something that a lot of people don't know, is that the '55 lenses are clear, while the '56 lenses are opaque. It always made me wonder if people who bought a '55 complained that they were being blinded by the light, as even my '56 is rather bright, and they're opaque. Or if they happened to change suppliers. Now, they will interchange, that is, fit in the same hole, but there is a difference between them.

Posted on: 2007/1/4 8:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Eric -

You are almost 100% correct. For '56 the running/courtesy light lens was changed (though not entirely opaque) to a translucent white material. But, I knew what you meant.

Now, you might be interested to know that I have a pair of lenses which were cast in a transparent amber sort of color.

I always figured that they were some hobbyist's attempt at repro of the clear '55 lens that had gone wrong - that is, until I learned that there were some ribbed stainless trim pieces done in a gold-tone finish. Although I have never seen any documentation on such trim, a few of those pieces have turned up on eBay - here and for a pretty good buck. Since then, I have wondered if these amber lenses, since the run right in the middel of the paths of the ribbed stainless, might have been part of that rare "gold package".

Posted on: 2007/1/4 8:34
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I moved this thread from the General to the V8 Forum to it keep filed correctly for future reference.

Thanks,

Posted on: 2007/1/5 1:57
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
My side marker (courtesy lights) just arrived from Joel Ray in Michigan. They are beautiful & perfect! Anyone wishing to replace theirs should drop Joel a line. I was referred to Joel via Minnesota Mike Dulinski in Duluth.

Posted on: 2007/1/26 21:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Rebuilt with Joel Ray lenses and modern snap type connectors.

Attach file:

jpg  (59.98 KB)
20_45da69b6c9175.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2007/2/19 22:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Another view.

Attach file:

jpg  (37.28 KB)
20_45da6ae78e409.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2007/2/19 22:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
One more!

Attach file:

jpg  (33.10 KB)
20_45da6b4ca9cd4.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2007/2/19 22:30
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Those look like very nice lenses! The plastic is probably better quality, then 50 year old NOS ones. I find that the newer plastics are more scratch resistant, and do not crack and cloud like the older plastics.

BTW you can attach multiple pics to the same post if you like. After you attach/upload the first picture, just click browse and select another one and upload again. You can just keep attaching as many pictures as you want. This is a kind of a hidden feature of the forums here.

Posted on: 2007/2/20 12:37
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved