Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 160

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Twin Ultramatic or Motor Mounts
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I will take pictures today, since they are off the engine, I know where one is!,,,,,

up date here are pictures of engine mount, my dad did these, see where I had to grind down head of one.

I will have to look for right side think its in the trunk, I think head needs to be ground down on both left and right.

Attach file:

jpg  (154.44 KB)
4498_5132938a4e132.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (113.41 KB)
4498_513293c6141bb.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (129.68 KB)
4498_513293eae8199.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (145.97 KB)
4498_5132941b401ea.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/3/2 13:05
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Thanks Riki...those bolts look tough enuf and I'm sure they'll hold for a long time. I already have new-repop front engine mounts, but haven't put them in, yet. I looked at replacing them b4 but I couldn't find an easy way to get to them (even w/my small hands). I have to admit that I didn't look very hard or long and there is probably a simple tool combo that will make the job much easier.

Posted on: 2013/3/3 21:19
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Quote:

Riki wrote:
I agree with tim,

the upper u joint, the ball and trunion, if its org, could be worn, I had one that wore a groove, in the machined slot for ball.

and you can get the clipper/ exe,, ball and trunion, dodge uses it, its on the market,, I think it would be ok, the larger ball, was probably for more hp, but, what do you guys think?

It's been awhile since I addressed this vibration issue, having to replace the gen w/alternator, but it turns out that Riki you were spot-on , the front trunion joint boot was gone and there was a grove gouged into the cast metal housing. I got the complete re-build kit from MM, installed it and had the drive shaft balanced. NO MORE VIBRATION!

BTW - I still can't get to the front motor mounts but I just temporarily used a ratcheting strap to secure the motor until I get to that job.

Posted on: 2013/6/18 20:26
Bob

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Bhappy,

glad that solved the problem.

riki

Posted on: 2013/6/18 22:18
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm glad as well your problem seems to be solved, and I hope it's a lasting repair but typically when the housing itself has grooves worn in the tracks that the balls & caps move in, just replacing the internals won't solve the problem, or not for long.

BTW, no reason to have any particular trepidation about changing the front motor mounts, once you actually get to it you'll find it's really very easy.

Posted on: 2013/6/18 22:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
O_D - the kit I got from MM was the complete rebuild kit, including a new housing, so all internal and external parts were changed (except the ball which is part of the drive shaft).

The motor mounts will be changed soon because I need to replace the head gaskets (drivers side is leaking coolant). Once the heads are removed the motor mounts are easy to get to from the top

Posted on: 2013/6/19 3:29
Bob

Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved