Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
194 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 191

Dennis Miller, Ross, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Whats the best way to remove the shelf under the back window?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
This is what appears to be A cardboard bit of trim, not the steel under structure.....

Posted on: 2013/4/4 15:03
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Whats the best way to remove the shelf under the back window?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Depends on the condition of the cardboard. If it is still reasonably flat and intact, to keep it that way the bottom garnish trim molding on the window removes and the seat back may have to come out. You can tell if the seat has to remove by seeing exactly where the edge of the cardboard is in relation to the seatback top. If under it has to come out.

Once those are out of the way it may just lift out -- if there are no clips and the rear seat speaker was factory mounted under the cardboard. On some models, there may be a few of the same type retaining clips as was used in the trunk to hold the cardboard covering the seat back. If there are no clips visible inside, they could be under the fabric which I think was on Patrician shelf. Feel around or look at the metal inside the trunk for any sign some were inserted. You would see the ends protruding in the holes in the steel. To remove you have to mash the hook ends together so they pass thru the holes. If no clips are seen and no speaker grill above, then it should lift out.

If it has shrunk or been removed poorly before, the cardboard may be broken and cracked so will bend up and out -- but I'd still at least take the molding off.

Posted on: 2013/4/4 15:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Not really very hard to do. Remove the seat back, and lower garnish moulding on the rear window and it will pull right out. I was able to fabric spray mine which was faded and the whole process was pretty quick.

Posted on: 2013/4/4 15:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Quote:
I was able to fabric spray mine which was faded

You read my mind....

Put a new speaker in last fall and notice it sounds awful; no highs and muddy sound. Should there be a fabric insert over the speaker? It looks (and sounds) like there is no hole in the cardboard at all....

The rear seat speaker is factory installed as far as I can tell....has the fader switch on the dash....

Posted on: 2013/4/5 16:26
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Pat,

if I remember right, there are 2 round holes in the rear deck board, for the sound.

mine was in bad shape and made one from wood paneling, you need to remove rear seat and back rest, I traced a pattern , and lower window trim, like others said,

taking the back rest out, I broke the tab holding the lower part, so be care full ..

Posted on: 2013/4/5 16:54
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
I believe the 55 had a speaker cover with the fabric that sits on top of the shelf cardboard. The 56 has perforated holes in the cardboard and the speaker is mounted underneath. I went to an old time radio shop and got a new speaker off the shelf which bolted right in in a couple of minutes. I found an identical fabric/vinyl spray that matched perfectly.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 17:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Hi, Packards 1

it looks like headliner fabric, then there is a sound proofing fabric under that, thin brown stuff,

Posted on: 2013/4/5 19:17
Riki
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved