Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
85 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 84

flopperwatcher, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: On to upholstery issues....
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Should work; try it on a sunvisor first.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 21:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
It's really not that much more money to get the right material, the labor charge (or amount of time you personally would need to do it) is the same regardless of the cost of the material. You might seriously get some price quotes and see.

I have never, ever heard of using brake cleaner, etc., on a large scale interior cleaning project. I cannot for the life of me see how that could work. Brake cleaner is not the same as dry cleaning fluid. Then there's the residue. On 60 year old material? Ditto for redying 60 year old fabric. I doubt it would withstand the process, and look decent. I really am on the side here of living with what you've got until you can do it correctly. And painlessly.

That said, I have steam cleaned my wool broadcloth (yes, the cheapie units from amazon work great), but be aware that steam = water, and that's not such a good thing to saturate your 60 year old material with, either, so be prepared to steam, and then follow up with a wet vac suck. The results are pretty impressive.

And I get to say 'suck' with an absolutely straight face...

Posted on: 2013/4/5 21:16
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
most brake cleaner is made with toluene,, wall marts brand has methanol, toluene and acetone, acetone is MEK,

MEK will attack plastic, so will toluene, but both of those in the gas tank, cleans up the fuel system. MEK will take out any water, toluene, will soften rubber parts,

and the exhaust smells sweet,, but you will get loaded too!...the olds days , sniffing glue, glues are made with that stuff..

mek is great to use for putting together plastic models, you let it run down the seam, and no glue residue..

Posted on: 2013/4/5 23:34
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Pat, I had good results cleaning the interior of my 55 Clipper with Resolve. It was most effective on the headliner, seats and visors. I would spray the Resolve on the fabric surface, wait a few minutes for it to work, and then with a damp terry cloth towel carefully wipe the surface until it was clean and all the Resolve product had been removed. I got some impressive results with white towels turning to brown. It is described on my adventures with a 55 Clipper blog on this site. Be gentle, very gentle with the headline, but it will clean up.

(o{}o)

Attach file:

jpg  (25.96 KB)
565_5162d622721cb.jpg 480X640 px

jpg  (25.76 KB)
565_5162d636b4b91.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/4/8 9:43
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
acetone is MEK,

Riki, not quite. Acetone is dimethylketone; MEK is methylethylketone so the difference is one more carbon atom, hence slightly higher boiling and slightly less solvency but still a potent solvent.

Posted on: 2013/4/8 10:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
MEK vs Acetone (Because I'm a nerd?):

Attach file:

gif  (2.42 KB)
333_516300bd3cacf.gif 155X90 px

gif  (2.72 KB)
333_516300d27dd60.gif 162X125 px

Posted on: 2013/4/8 12:39
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I'm not a chemist, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn once....

I note that the bottle of resolve uses triple oxy cleaning power,,,,

Wouldn't that make it a bleach, which sounds very hard on old cloth.....

Posted on: 2013/4/9 0:49
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

patgreen wrote:
I'm not a chemist, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn once....

I note that the bottle of resolve uses triple oxy cleaning power,,,,

Wouldn't that make it a bleach, which sounds very hard on old cloth.....

Pat, I used the Resolve on my headliner, which is in a fragile state, but still intact. There were no problems with the Resolve being hard on the old fabric. I was most careful in very gently wiping the Resolve from the fabric. I let the Resolve do its job and just removed it. No scrubbing required. It worked great for me. I first tried it on the sun visors. Give it a try on yours. I think you will be pleased with the results. Just remember to have plenty of clean cloths available for the job. You will be amazed at the amount of dirt removed.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/4/9 9:22
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
These are some really great -- and imaginative suggestions. Just to get off the subject for a second, I used Blue Magic polish on my Clipper's chrome. It is easy to apply, wipes off easily (and like Resolve, left the microfiber rags nearly black), and made it look almost new. I followed up with Meguire's carnuba wax. Really did the trick ...

Posted on: 2013/4/9 10:33
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
oops,

how about a watered down MEK, its weaker cousin?

Posted on: 2013/4/9 21:12
Riki
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved