Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
80 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 80

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

chrome
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Out of curiosity has anyone tried or seen anything done with Eastwoods Liquid Chrome paint or the reflective chrome powder coat? Neither are the current typical hardware store spray paint products we all know that call themselves chrome. These claim to be a decent substitute for the real thing that could pass on non show items. Just wondering if either is really passable for chrome at one yard or only 10 yards or more.

Posted on: 2013/4/6 14:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: chrome
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information

Posted on: 2013/4/6 16:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
The video of Jay showing the application of it may be in David's link above. But here it is. They just "hose" it on like water. ...no careful spraying at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-1cTpSZ1l8

Posted on: 2013/4/11 9:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for the all the links. They do all appear to be talking about the stuff Leno showed in the video. Leno is right when he says chrome shops have all but disappeared in California and is the reason I'm looking for options for some small items.

The video process is impressive compared to what usually passes for spray chrome -- particularly on the potmetal piece. Didn't find a US retail outlet for that particular name although there is a product called Spectra Chrome that looks like it may be the same.

The one Eastwood offers doesn't appear to be quite the same stuff but maybe it is. This is the one I'm curious about anyone having experience with since it is something readily available.http://www.eastwood.com/ew-liquid-chrome-and-clear-kit.html

Posted on: 2013/4/11 9:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
I checked the web site for the stuff Jay Leno had and they claim the company is defunct.

It was some kind of two liquid process which started with something like a grey Epoxy paint which was allowed to set up and then they hosed on this greenish liquid which slowly built up as chrome.

Then they clear-coated it.

It certainly looked just like real Chrome but I gather from the Leno's Garage show that it can't take any abuse as it is about like paint.

Could work on small things that don't go out in the snow and salt like dash knobs and inside trim things.

But Defunct according to the web site.

Jim

Posted on: 2013/4/12 14:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
At one time I was looking into chrome substitutes. The plan was to serve the hot rodders and secondary old car segment. For example, try pricing the grille on a 55 Studebaker. The process was water based and used a silver ion. The samples looked okay, but definitely like a substitute. More like what you see on plated plastic.

I dropped the idea after I ran into a few old car bad apples. The best way to get even was to let them choke on plating bills.

Posted on: 2013/4/12 15:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
i watched a few you tube videos on spray on chrome, its been around for awhile.

think you need to watch out if you take something in to have chromed now.. they could paint it instead..

but charge you the chrome price..

eastwoods looked dull to me, and they use aluminum mixture from what I saw.

might want to check out auto paint stores to see what they say or have.

one video showed a car door being sprayed chromed,,looked like paint shop..

Posted on: 2013/4/13 13:36
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Krylon or Cook & Dunn has had a paint, "Almost Chrome" or perhaps "Nearly Chrome", for quite a few years. For exterior trim it's at best a 40-footer, but it does have uses, for example inside tail light housings and reflectors to enhance reflectivity. It might also be tolerable to some for small pieces of interior trim. Also for small and not very noticeable underhood parts that were originally nickel or chrome. But don't expect it to look like real chromium plating.

Posted on: 2013/4/13 13:46
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved