Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
64 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 63

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1938 Super 8 coolant leak
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Guys, this is very helpful information! Thanks for taking the time to help us out. My dad says that the water pump isn't leaking as bad anymore but he found another leak at the radiator. He thinks it's coming from the upper reservoir. Here's a pic showing it....half the radiator is wet, and coolant is visible on the upper left corner. Replacement? Repair? What are our options?
Resized Image

Here is a picture of the water pump (I believe....haven't seen it in person).

Resized Image

On a side note, is it possible to tell whether this is a 1603 or 1605? Being a 1938, the builders sticker is long gone. Here's the car:
Resized Image

Thanks,
Kevin

Posted on: 2013/4/13 15:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Easy to tell a 1603 from a 1604 and a 1605, just measure the wheelbase. They are 127, 134 and 139 inches respectively. Yours looks like it may be a 1605 but a tape measure will tell all.

Yes, your 2nd photo is the water pump. And from the looks of the radiator, it's had at least one poor quality repair in the past. Nevertheless if the core is in good condition the leak at the tank/core area is pretty basic work for a good radiator shop. I'd have him boil out the core and check the flow rate before deciding whether a recore is necessary, it won't be inexpensive - probably about $700 or more for that size radiator. Those radiators had plenty of excess capacity when new so if only a tube or two needs to be pinched off and the rest of the core is sound and up to snuff, you should still have plenty of cooling capacity.

Posted on: 2013/4/13 15:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Wheelbase is 139 so it's a 1605. Thanks for the tip Owen. I was just looking at Packard: A history and saw that that information was in there. I guess I should have checked there first, my bad.

We'll keep you updated on what we find out with the radiator!

-Kevin

Posted on: 2013/4/14 16:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Kevin,
for including your Dad's '38 Super Eight Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry, nice looking Packard.

Posted on: 2013/4/14 17:33
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved