Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
78 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 77

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: If I appear parsanoid, it's for a reason....starting issues....
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
AC45XLS

they replaced a set of Champion RN12YC plugs which were of uncertain age and which had a small miss....

This help?

Posted on: 2013/4/13 14:55
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Maybe its time to replace the mechanic!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2013/4/13 15:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The ac 45xls should be ok. So no problem there.

Try this, engine OFF. it's ez enuf to do.

Remove aircleaner. Hold throttle 1/2 to 3/4 OPEN by hand or get an accomplice to hold gas pedal 1/2 to 3/4 way to floor or block the acellerator linkage and hold it there while conducting this test.

Look at the CHOKE blade. It should be fully closed.
If NOT fully closed then it is to lean.
If it IS fully closed then:
Use one finger to test the amount of pressure it takes to just barely open the choke blade. It should require no more efort than what it would take to say push the top of your ear back against your head. If it requires more finger effort than what it mite take to crush a cooked green pea then the choke mite be set too tite. Dab at it several times with your finger to test operation. Sometimes they can get sticky for no predictable reason.

Slight Choke adjustment may be necessary from warm to cold season changes.

Posted on: 2013/4/13 16:06
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
As for the mechanic, at this point, i'd say he's doing a pretty good job. Especialy if he didn't argue with u over the spark plugs. THose 45XLS should be an excellent choice. "45", 4 means 14mm, 5 means HEAT RANGE 5 which is hot side of medium which is good for cold starts for ANY engine . The choke adjusting can often be temperamental until the sweet spot is found. It can vary from carb to carb, engine to engine etc. Just takes some trial and error minor adjusting if that turns out to be the problem.

Posted on: 2013/4/13 16:21
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
After the choke adjustemnt is checked then return the throttle to normal operation mode.

Conduct this test:
with engine OFF and air cleaner removed, look directly down into carb throat. Work acclerator linkage vigorously from clsed to wide open. U should see TWO conspicuous strong shots of gasoline squirting from near top of carb throat downward. Two CONSPICUOS STRONG STREAMS of gas, NOT just a dribble.
Then try it not so vigorously moving the accelerator linkage.

Probably need to wear safety glasses tho i never have for this test.

Posted on: 2013/4/13 16:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Quote:
Maybe its time to replace the mechanic!!!!!!!!!!

The mechanic is a friend trying to help me. I'm not mechanical. Period.

I'm lucky to have him, both because he is a good mechanic and he is willing to work on these cars with care and respect.

That said, he doesn't know them well, so I try to do my bit by gathering the specialized info he needs to make them run like they should.

We all know how many otherwise respected mechanics will not get involved at all.

Posted on: 2013/4/13 16:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
out hear in calif, I have the choke fixed at wide open,

I turn it over to see if it fires, if not then I give some pumps,

If I pump it first, I flood it,,

to me, back it in the cold, you would want a lean mix, with that cold air.

Has it been proved that its getting spark? doesn't a condenser give out when it gets hot?,,and if its cold, might not hold..too.....

others are on the money,,,,get air cleaner off,,to see if you are getting gas,, if so its electric...coil, or coil ground wire might be broke..

Posted on: 2013/4/14 0:20
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
There is spark. How much, I do not know, which puzzles me, because you would expect some coughing. The motor clearing its throat before the speech if you will.

Mechanic is out of town for the weekend. If I keep calling him it could be permanent.....

Also puzzled by almost empty filter bowl next to carb. is that normal?

I've printed out the comments here, a 4GC manual and a few tidbits for him, but I doubt that he will want to read the entire set of Britannica. I wouldn't.

Posted on: 2013/4/14 2:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
hi pat,

the fuel bowl, hmmm, is that ceramic piece in there?, if its half full you should be getting gas,

if its near empty then possible clog,,, frozen gas?, or pump went south,,(bad).

removing fuel line at the bowl, and cranking it will tell if your getting fuel,

I think you had fuel pump problems before, or was that some one else?,,

I reading in this car mag.,, I get, and the guys car would run then stop,,,turned out to be a seal from a bottle, was blocking fuel line in the tank,

if your using carbon plug wires,,toss them, and get solid core (wire),,they are stainless steel.

if you can,,take coil wire out of Dist. cap and set it where you can see it from inside the car. use a cloths pin or something to keep it 1/4 inch from metal. crank it over and you should have a healthy continuous spark. if not,, points, condenser, cap, or coil. wire?,,(coil)

Posted on: 2013/4/14 3:10
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The empty fuel bowl is not normal. With you driving the car only a day or two before, it should be full. If the car sits for a time then it might drop some but it should take a very long sit for it to be completely empty. If the gasoline is very volatile a hot engine might boil it off but cranking as much as you did should have filled the bowl right back up.

Posted on: 2013/4/14 8:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved