Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
80 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 80

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: If I appear parsanoid, it's for a reason....starting issues....
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
The fuel pump went out last fall, or so I was told. We installed the spare, which was an Arthur Gold rebuild I had gotten about three years ago (from AG). It could be bad, hut that seems doubtful.

When I got my car the fuel tank had allegedly been done. I'm thinking we need a look at that situation now.

What about the ceramic filters? Are they ever an issue? Can't see any obvious clogs.... Are they cleanable in some way?

Where would you anticipate fuel problems to be?

Posted on: 2013/4/14 13:30
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What about the ceramic filters? Are they ever an issue? Can't see any obvious clogs....

They most definitely can get clogged. Since your car was running well a day or two before, unless you filled up with some horribly contaminated gas right after the drive I doubt it would have plugged that fast.

You can see the large debris and rust particles but if the ceramic has varnished over it may appear clean, you can blow air thru, but gas thru is a struggle. When I had the problem the gas would not flow more than a trickle -- just enough to keep the car idling but not enough to try and go. Carb would run out of gas shortly after the engine speeded up. When I was having the issue, generally the glass kept 1/3 to 1/2 full but never filled completely.

Others have said the varnish can be cleaned by soaking in Acetone and blowing air thru in the reverse direction. I haven't tried.

If you do decide that might be an issue, I advise you to get a new gasket before pulling it apart. Max has themhttp://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000022e~Z5Z5Z5AAAHC~P5.00~~~~S3R917OI6K67182191824Q~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000022E My gasket was rock hard and wouldn't seal again after being off.

Posted on: 2013/4/14 13:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I wish I had the dough to back ,,,to help you,,

do want others have said, air cleaner off, look in carb, and pull acc linkage,

no fangs of gas going in,, then, undo fitting going into bowl, pull coil wire at (coil),,,so you don't get spark, put fuel line in a can and turn over engine, gas should fly out,,,if not,,,,fuel pump.. clogged?,,, or some reason no gas is getting to bowl,,,

yes those ceramics do plug,

besides blowing it out, others might know better on that,

vapor lock??? is gas cap vented?,,

Posted on: 2013/4/14 13:54
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
don't know what it would take,, but having a video file, would be great, how to,,

kev will chime in on this,,,A BIG FILE,,

Posted on: 2013/4/14 14:14
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Duane came over yesterday and performed what may be an exorcism. It worked. One quick crank today and off I went smoothly and happily to lunch. gassed her, and am now at the computer for a minute.

With crossed fingers, thank you all for the tips. We tried getting the choke to work with the pressure needed to push your ear into your head..... Clearly it all has to do with the sweet spot!.

Now to the wipers.

Posted on: 2013/4/16 14:17
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ok. so i assume that means choke needed adjustment.
HOWEVER, u failed to indicate as to whether it was too tite or too loose. YOU NEED TO KNOW! Because in a bout 3 months if some other problem arises then the answer to that question mite solve the future problem faster and easier. Or maybe about 9 months from now.

Posted on: 2013/4/16 16:39
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved