Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
69 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 67

William Grosz, Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

As the Packard Turns; New Season, Old Problems
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
In a misguidedly optimistic post I announce to one and all that my engine had been exorcised and was running wonderfully. That may have been a bit premature.

Today it started splendidly, as of old. A quick turn of the key and they're running at Rockingham.

Took it out this afternoon to go see my doc and discovered that the idle is very fast when fully warmed up. Whenn not in drive it really seems to be turning; when in drive it calms down but is absolutely no danger of stalling.

Is this a simple fix--and if so, what?

When this started, the first turn after carb overhaul was very similar. Then it got slowed out and refused to start and now we seem back to square one.

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!

Posted on: 2013/4/16 22:26
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: As the Packard Turns; New Season, Old Problems
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The choke linkage operates the fast idle cam. Depending on what was wrong or done with the choke earlier, that repair could be preventing the cam from operating. Carb might not be coming off the high or fast idle step.

It is starting to sound like you need a carb person to look at things and make sure all is operating and adjusted properly.

Posted on: 2013/4/16 22:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Let the mechanic take the car for 2 or 3 days, better a week. Let him drive it some local miles and experience the problems for himself. He can iron out the problems as they occur.

As HH56 indicates most likely the problem is choke linkage, various pivots and clips etc associated with the linkage. FINE DETAILS mite be involved here that are not always obvious by simple routine text book procedures.

Posted on: 2013/4/17 6:46
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
or the bi metal temp spring, pat with air cleaner off ,,,dial says. lean/rich,,the spring could be to tight,

mine is turned to hold flap open,,,i don't use the choke.

Posted on: 2013/4/17 7:51
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I feel good, because he suggested pretty much the same plan-and he is willing to do so. At the moment we expect 3" or so of rain in the next three hours. I'll be more than happy to email most of it to anyone who wants it.....

Posted on: 2013/4/17 15:01
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved