Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
96 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 95

michael biegas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 »

Re: disc brake conversions
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Dowd
See User information
The installation was simple and straight-forward. In my previous posts I noted that some holes didn't line up and that the disc brake conversion was Lug-Centric and not Hub-Centric as on the original.

Also, the lug studs on the new kit are 1/2" while the original bolts are 9/16". I got no info from Kanter about this situation, nor have I received any info about what brake pads are used in this kit. (This info would be useful when it comes time to put new pads on the car.)

The 1/2" studs seem to locate the wheels just fine but I installed an aluminum ring on the rotor to properly locate the wheel just in case.

You might ask Kanter about these points when you are purchasing the kit.

M.

Posted on: 2012/7/17 10:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
Hello what about the master cylinder ,is there a upgraded on e in the Kanter kit?

Posted on: 2012/12/11 22:14
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Dowd
See User information
I saw no master cylinder kit in the Kanter catalog. I'm debating on exactly what to do. A dual-diaphragm small diameter master cylinder might fit in the general area of the original master cylinder and that's what I'll try first. I'd like to avoid converting to pendulum pedals just to preserve the original 'look'.

M

Posted on: 2012/12/12 9:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A few have kept manual brakes but for the added safety, converted to a dual master cylinder in the same location. They were not drop in and did require some mounting plates or ingenuity. Those with linkage supports as part of the unit are the worst ones and needed an extra plate or some relocation.

There was a discussion a few weeks ago on the ECI Universal Brake assisthttp://ecihotrodbrakes.com/universal_brake_assist.html The product looks interesting, provides a power boost without vacuum and should fit in the Packard manual brake space -- again with deference to the other linkages. Wouldn't work for for BTV replacement though and to my knowledge, it hasn't been tried with manuals either. Whether it is large enough for a Packard was a question raised by the company. If it worked it would certainly open up some options for any wanting disc conversions.

Fitting a conventional vacuum booster with master in that location in order to keep the floor pedal is tight. The clutch linkage sure messes up some of the options. If the frame is deep enough possibly brake linkage could be revised and extended so a frame mounted power assy with a remote fill reservoir could be turned around and go farther under the floor area. If that is what you are thinking we will be anxious to see your conversion and how things fit.

Posted on: 2012/12/12 11:02
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Dowd
See User information
Thanks for the info...the area beside the oil pan where the original master cylinder resides is tight...but in the worst case I'd modify the frame a bit...(saving the pieces so the next owner could restore it to original, if she wants to).

Don't tell anyone, but I'm using a GM 700-R4 trans behind my 356 engine...eliminating lots of linkage.

I'll look at the link you've provided and see what's what.

Mike

Posted on: 2012/12/13 10:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Mike, I was going through this thread yesterday, and thought about how your project is coming along. Opened it this morning and there you were. Looking forward to reading your future posts. Your Packard project deserves its own project blog, given all that you are doing to the Custom. I think we all would find it interesting and informative. Say hi to Vicky, and happy holidays.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2012/12/13 10:27
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Dowd
See User information
John,

I've been moving so slowly on this project I'd be embarrassed to have any blog devoted to it. The engine is back together and lots of minor clean-up items have been completed. Slowing down progress was a trip to Arkansas to visit cousins, a 50th high school reunion in Liberty, Missouri, and construction of a 10 kW photovoltaic system at our place here in New Mexico. That should be completed in a week or so....

See you in Salado. Merry Christmas.

Mike

Posted on: 2012/12/13 19:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
wondering what became of this post and if the kit was ever completed I'm going to be tackling the brakes on my 52 in the coming couple months and i would love to go disk on the front. Feel free to PM me with more information thanks.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 18:45
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Dowd
See User information
The project is proceeding slowly...I just completed the installation of a 10 kW photovoltaic system on the roof of my workshop...with today's tax structure that's the best investments I've made in a long time. Also, the bearings on my Staber horizontal axis washing machine are making a bit of noise and are going to need to be replaced soon.

Back to the disc brake conversion:

After re-assembling the front end with new parts (from Kanter) I slid the passenger side rotor assembly in place and noted that the inner grease seal didn't quite reach the sealing surface on the spindle. (I'll attach photos later as they are on another non-networked computer).

Sure enough, measurements indicated that the seal was just not going to work. Once again I visited the Dowd Family Ancestral machinist and made aluminum adapters that relocated the seal about 0.300" inboard. I researched the available seals and selected on with a slightly smaller O.D. and now the seal rides where it is supposed to ride.

Next funny event: I adjusted the axle nuts and started to install the dust caps...oh oh...the caps are fine for the smaller nuts of the non-Custom-Eight front ends...but the large nuts used in the Custom-Eight series prevent the supplied cap from fitting properly. I have still not found a replacement for the supplied cap but I have come up with something that will do for the moment.

Yet More: Of course the installation of disc brakes will require the use of a dual chamber master cylinder and the re-plumbing of the brake lines...but the flex lines supplied in the kit do not have the same size fittings as the basic Packard brake system (1/4" tubing, I think). This isn't a big deal as I'll have to fabricate new lines anyway of the right size...but I wish this had been mentioned in the rather sparse documentation.

Still, the installation looks great, so far, and the 12" rotors do fit fine inside the standard wheels.

Mike

Posted on: 2013/4/25 9:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
Great thank you for the info keep me informed of the progress

Posted on: 2013/4/25 9:27
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved