Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 130

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 »

Re: disc brake conversions
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Is rear VW disk set-up much smaller than the fronts???
Check fr/rear pad part numbers. If pads are identicle in appearence but different part number then the rear LINING COMPOSITION maybe different from front causing the earlier wear.

Is the VW automatic or stick???

U indicated 105K miles. Can we assume that the fronts NOR the rears have ever been replaced in that 105K miles??

Posted on: 2013/4/26 14:45
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Dowd
See User information
The car is a 6-speed DSG automatic (I love it) and the pads had not been changed since new. The rear discs have 266 mm rotors and I think the fronts are 288 mm. The pads that came off the back were what ever the factory installed on them. Both the rear and front rotors are slightly grooved...I replaced the rear rotors without even trying to grind them to min. thickness.

I expected some wear on the front but they look like very little has worn from them...I didn't measure them, of course. The car has ABS, too. The braking system has functioned flawlessly since day one.

M

Posted on: 2013/4/26 16:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Here's the trial assembly of my disc brake conversion on the left front of my resurrected Panther project. Excuse the dust on the frame and control arms since this is just a trial assembly. All parts will be cleaned and repainted as required before final assembly. There's no caliper installed, but this is a view that is not available on the same disc brake conversion done on my 55 Pat and it shows the "magic plate" better. Also, note the adjustable front torsion link.

Resized Image

Craig

Posted on: 2013/4/27 21:34
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Dowd
See User information
The magic plate looks beautiful. What rotor are you using?

M.

Posted on: 2013/4/28 7:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Rotor is 1980 Chrysler Cordoba. No modifications needed on it or its corresponding spindle bearings. It comes with already pressed-in lug studs of the correct diameter and length for the Packard Junior wheel.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/4/28 10:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Picture similar to above but with Chevrolet big car caliper (71-78 various Z-28, Impala, etc; NAPA #SE4557) and pads (NAPA #UP728AM) trial installed. Fit is perfect.

FYI, caliper core charge was almost as much as the part itself (2 needed). Rotor is NAPA #4885566 (2 needed).

Resized Image

Craig

Posted on: 2013/4/28 12:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
Hey Mike,

Thanks for the email and the follow up. I did find your order and it was from Feb of 2012. I will be following up with the Packard Department and Dan Kanter to see if I can track down the emails that were sent.

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products

Posted on: 2013/4/29 12:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I had an email response from Scarebird.com in WA. He makes adapter plates for disc brake conversions. I bought a set for my 1963 Tempest a few years ago. He is interested in duplicating the "magic plates" used on my 55 Pat and 56 Clipper. However, there is a problem. Both Hollander and Packard parts books lists 4 different "steering knuckles" (GP 15.400). Does anyone know definitively what the difference is?

For the PS cars (almost nobody has MS):

PN - fit
446905 - (1955 Junior) 5540 & 5560 w/PS
443908 - (1955 & 1956 Senior) w/PS
6480301 - (1956 Junior) w/PS

I know for a fact that the adapter plate I have fits both the 1955 Senior (443908) and the 1956 Junior (6480301).

Any insight and specificity as to the difference would be appreciated. The kit like I have would fit 5x4-1/2 wheels, which Seniors could use the Junior wheels if that's what you wanted to do. Only the "magic plate" is outsourced, all other parts are OTC at virtually any auto parts store. Some machine work required on the spindle inner bearing fit and steering arm (see my website for details).

Craig

Posted on: 2013/5/1 18:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are different bearings and seals junior to senior. Is the spindle diameter or distance between machined surfaces the same on both or could that be one of the differences.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 19:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Howard Quote:
There are different bearings and seals junior to senior. Is the spindle diameter or distance between machined surfaces the same on both or could that be one of the differences.

Howard, you might be right. The disc brake adapter plate is only concerned with the bolt pattern where the original drum brake backing plate attached. I'll have to look up the inner and outer bearing number. Also, re: seals.

I've got to do some things tonight, so I'll look this up tomorrow.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/5/1 19:27
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved