Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 123

Gar, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Have You Ever Seen This?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

57 Detroit Built
See User information
While torching a 1956 Packard Clipper apart, I ran into a GM Hydromatic transmission attached instead of the Ultramatic. Has anyone ever run across this before? Included are pictures of the car and installation.

Attach file:

jpg  (160.16 KB)
5923_5185be785ae55.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (220.70 KB)
5923_5185bede6d86b.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (146.53 KB)
5923_5185bf41bf1df.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (118.02 KB)
5923_5185bfa47fede.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/5/4 21:11
 Top  Print   

Re: Have You Ever Seen This?
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Yes,

A local transmission shop owner in Calgary adapted a 4 speed hydramatic to the 1955 Clipper that he had bought new. The car was used to tow an airstream travel trailer for many years.

I briefly owned a 1955 Clipper 2 door hardtop that had also been converted to a hydramatic by the same shop.

Posted on: 2013/5/5 0:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
BDeb and 57 Detroit Built:
Can each of u give us an approximate year when the conversion was done????

Posted on: 2013/5/5 7:31
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
There are only THREE bolts holding trans to engine????

Posted on: 2013/5/5 8:49
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Cool discovery! Love to know how that Clipper performed through the years.

Posted on: 2013/5/5 11:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
There are only THREE bolts holding trans to engine????

A couple of the trans bolt holes on the sides look like they might line up with holes in the bellhousing. Perhaps at one time there was a second half of the adapter. Were Hydramatics of that vintage air or water cooled? It looks like maybe they left the old Packard lines just sitting and vibrating.

Posted on: 2013/5/5 11:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I thought that there was a trans that bolted up to ultra, I think the 56 motors manual also states it, I think..

Posted on: 2013/5/5 13:16
Riki
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

vicpick58
See User information
I had a 56 Patrician that had a 4 speed Hydra-matic. I bought it in Stockton CA in 1990 and sold in Modesto in 1997.

It already had the transmission in it when I bought it and it actually worked quite well. There was not enough room for the duel exhaust on the drivers side due to the width of the transmission and linkage so it was single exhaust.

The car was in pretty good shape when I sold it except the engine had the oil pressure problem, and needed some attention.

I wish I had not sold it and would like to buy it back if it ever turns up for sale.

Posted on: 2013/5/5 14:34
Former owner of: 1955 Clipper Constellation
1956 400
1956 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
That 56 clipper brings back memories,

my dad bought one for 10 dollars, from our neighbor hood, its was going to the wrecking yard, but the person knew my dad had a Packard, and said you can have it for 10 bucks, that was the going the rate at junk yards.

it had a 55 trans, which I later gave away, my dad bought a 56 exe. which was later, taken apart, I put the exe fenders and grill, on the clipper. put the clipper together as a high school project,

the clipper was in real good shape body wise, the persons grandparents owned it. interior had seat covers real clean.

but later I got a 56 400 from my dads friend, and the clipper was moved to a lot, then ,,,scrap..to pay off storage fees..the car was given to someone else and that's what I heard..

the tl worked perfect on the clipper. I don't think I even replaced the bushings. Had a two barrel carb. which I still have somewhere. not sure if the air cleaner is still around.

san diego to Disneyland,,,round trip,,just past 3/4 tank.

Posted on: 2013/5/5 16:27
Riki
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

57 Detroit Built
See User information
The 56 clipper I bought with the Hydromatic tranny was converted over in 1964. It saw road service till 1971 when the body would not pass inspection. The man I got it off of owned a auto repair shop. He said that the main reason this was done that ultramatic repair parts were almost impossible to find by then. I can,t find oil cooling lines on it so it must be air cooled or something. It in away looks to be a after market kit of some sort.

Posted on: 2013/5/5 17:05
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved