Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 129

Daniel Leininger, Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

48 packard 3 speed overdrive
Just popping in
Just popping in

akk373
See User information
I have a 48 packard with 3 speed overdrive. It gets hot and overdrive stops working. If it sets for several hours or next day when cools off overdrive works again. Light on dash works correctly and shift under dash engages and disengages fine. Looking for fix help. Would like to know if solnoid is bad or weak can you replace easily. If so where can I find parts or someone who can give me information about this problem.

Posted on: 2008/9/1 20:25
 Top  Print   

Re: 48 packard 3 speed overdrive
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
With the light, am assuming you have the R9. Could be several things so a little more information please. When it gets hot, does it just drop out suddenly without you touching anything or does it not engage again after coming to a stop. When it fails, does the light come on again after a stop and then when you get back at speed does it stay on even when you attempt going into OD? Do you have the reverse lockout switch. Are there any strange sounds when it fails.

Posted on: 2008/9/1 21:01
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

akk373
See User information
does not drop out until stopping. it will not engage after coming to a stop but only after its hot . Light stays on no noises. When you go back to another stop later it sound like it tries to shift out again but I know od was not engaged.

Posted on: 2008/9/1 21:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It sounds like solenoid--although a mechanical issue can't totally be ruled out yet. There are several sets of contacts inside solenoid and it sounds like the set that breaks the pull in coil circuit when fully engaged is not closing again when it drops out at a stop and therefore solenoid can't pull in again. The light coming on and staying on would indicate everything prior to solenoid appears to be working.

If you have an ohmmeter, it would be a good idea to confirm this before ordering a new one by disconnecting the wires from terminals 3 & 4 on the solenoid and checking those terminals to ground. There should be very low ohms on both--something like 0-2 ohms when cold, but if my reasoning is correct, when hot you will probably have either an open circuit or a very high reading when checking 4 to ground but no change on 3.

If that proves out, then as to finding one, several of the Packard vendors advertise having them.

Would suggest you download the Econo-drive service manual (item 39) from the service manual section and read through. There are a few paragraphs on changing the solenoid as well as some cautions about getting things in proper orientation.

Posted on: 2008/9/1 21:48
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

pandamarie
See User information
If you find it is the solenoid it is esy to take them apart and clean and file the points to make them work again, ive done it to 3 of my cars with R9 and R11s. saves alot of time and money.

Posted on: 2008/9/2 17:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
When I finally got my R-11 overdrive fixed up one of the things I did was take my solenoid apart and clean the contacts. I have some good info on how that works here if you'd like to check it out.

Pay attention to the link at "Kaiser Bill's" website.

Posted on: 2008/9/2 19:35
Jay Faubion
Ask me, I've got one!
Visit JaysPackard.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JimGnitecki
See User information
The advice on resurrecting the solenoid is good. A new one costs about $265 I think. I base that on what Fifth Avenue garage charges for the 12 volt version that you need if you convert to 12 volts.

Jim G

Posted on: 2008/9/3 21:29
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved