Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 141

Jack Vines, Dads 56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Pics of an open hood on a 39?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

iburyem73
See User information
Does anyone have any pics of a 39 with the hood open? I am assembling my 39 this weekend, and all of the hood parts are in a box, as they were when I bought the car. I just want to make sure I put everything together correct....mine is a henney...but it shouldnt really matter...with an eight

Posted on: 2008/9/4 23:49
 Top  Print 

Re: Pics of an open hood on a 39?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

pandamarie
See User information
I have pics of a 39 V12 will that do? as soon as I figure out how to register all my cars I will swamp you with pics.
Anyone here in NorCal going to the Galt old car festival?
I will be driving the 39 12 there and back, about 130 miles and 25 gallons of gas.

Posted on: 2008/9/5 18:12
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

pandamarie wrote:.......Anyone here in NorCal going to the Galt old car festival? I will be driving the 39 12 there and back, about 130 miles and 25 gallons of gas.

pandamarie,

Well worth the gas, old cars should be driven. Hope it's a nice day for the drive.

Posted on: 2008/9/5 18:31
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

iburyem73
See User information
the v12 hood should be real close...Im hoping to assemble hood, fenders on car on sun....all painted and im ready to drive her!!!!!

Posted on: 2008/9/5 21:03
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

pandamarie
See User information
My wife didnt save all my pics of the 39 with the hood open so I will have to go take some more. Let me know exactly what you need or want pics of and from what angle and I will get them for you this coming week.
I can tell you if your assembling it, if the engine is in and fan on, install the radiator and cradle in first then the cowl to radiator braces next the radiator shell then the fenders, at this point use a tape to make sure everything is squared up and then take a measurement of the hood through the center and along both top sides and make sure you have 1/2 to 3/4 inch extra over the length of the hood for body gaps, tape off all the painted parts where the panels fit together to avoid chips and peel it off as you bolt it together. I had the most trouble with my hood lining up right, just couldnt get the gaps perfect. Leave eveything slightly loose so you can raise or lower the fenders and rad shell to get your gaps right on. help to have a couple extra people, wish I had help. once you have your gaps set tighten it up.
If you need pics sooner I can send you pics of my 36 or 41 since they are kept at my house and used for daily drivers, they are basicly the same just different shapes but bolt together the same way.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.66 KB)
341_48c2c0a76f0f0.jpg 560X375 px

Posted on: 2008/9/6 12:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Hartmann
See User information
TO THE FELLOW WHO IS GETTING LESS THAN 6 MPG ON A PACKARDV-12

Strongly recommend you do NOT drive it - dont even try and START it, till you get competent technical help from someone familiar with Packard V-12's.

There is something VERY wrong with your car. Obviously, I cant diagonois it from a computer screen's posts.

In the late 1930's, at a General Motors test track (all the mfgs. would buy other make cars just to test them out, so as to keep an eye out on the competition) they were able to gat a Packard Twelve in decent shape down to around 7.5 mpg, but only by selecting one with the optional 4.69 rear axle ratio, AND by driving it at over 80 mpg.

In normal city-suburban driving at under 60 mpg, you should see around 10 mpg. Anything signficantly less, FIX IT. Driving ANY car that consumes way more fuel than it is supposed to, will RUIN it in short order.

Posted on: 2008/9/8 5:39
If it has a red hex on the hub-cap, I love it
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved