Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
88 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 86

acolds, Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Help !!! Solenoid for 47 356 Custom super Clipper
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Lauren R Lampi
See User information
I'm having a problem with my "just completed" 47 Custom Super Clipper. Starting problems. It would start erratically and now nothing....... not a chirp from the starter. Can't even jump the terminals on the solenoid
and get any response.... The starter and generator were rebuilt during the restoration and engine rebuild.
I have had the engine running off and on during the past week but today nothing. I'm thinking that the solenoid is bad. Am I on the right track as far as there is a bad solenoid for the lack of starting. What is a good source for a new of rebuilt solenoid. I was looking in my Kantor Catalog and they will rebuild a solenoid.
Looking for suggestions to my starting problems.
Thank you,
Lauren R Lampi
Grand Rapids, MN
47 Custom super Clipper
54 Clipper deluxe.

Posted on: 2013/8/4 16:59
Lauren R Lampi
Grand Rapids, Minn.
 Top  Print   

Re: Help !!! Solenoid for 47 356 Custom super Clipper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe your car will have the big 4 terminal AutoLite solenoid. There is a relay inside which may be causing the problem. Here is a troubleshooting guide and schematic from an old Motors Manual which may be of help.

If you have the Delco solenoid, it also has an internal relay. Let us know if you need that information instead.

Not sure what you mean by "can't jump the terminals on the solenoid". Could you be more specific as to which terminals you tried to jump.

If you do have the 4 terminal solenoid, one other thing to look at is the ground connection to the solenoid. If the wiring is done as specified on the senior car, the carb switch supplies voltage to one side of the solenoid. The other side of the solenoid is tied to the ARM terminal on the regulator and solenoid gets ground thru the generator windings.

That circuit was intended as a safety preventing starter operation if the engine was running. It was problematic even when new and Packard issued a bulletin on 20th series to change it back on those cars exhibiting intermittent problems. The lead on regulator from the solenoid was removed and tied directly to ground.

Here is the details of the circuithttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SL-VOL16NO12.pdf and there was a followup bulletin. The circuit was applicable on some models until 53 so the same intermittent problems could be present.

Attach file:

jpg  (143.18 KB)
209_51fedbbd88670.jpg 634X1280 px

Posted on: 2013/8/4 17:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Lauren R Lampi
See User information
Thank you for the fast reply ! I have the " 4 terminal"
type solenoid on the top of the starter.
I think that it is an Auto-lite type. I think that it is the original on the car. The car has 59,000 original miles. When the car would not start, I would take a jumper wire and touch the negative terminal of the battery to the small upper outer terminal screw of the solenoid.
There would me a small spark at the battery terminal and then I could go in the car and start the engine with the starter button. Car was changed from the starter switch on the carb to a " push button" on the dash.
I don't know if jumping the solenoid did anything, but the car would be able to start normally after I did that.
Well, today nothing happened. Just dead silence.
Nothing snapped, crackled or popped. I had completely
rewired the car from scratch during the restoration.
so far things have been good as far as the wiring goes.
( The only major problem was that the courtesy lights
under the dash and the ones on the back of the front seat
do not go out when I close the door. I replaced the original with some new ones from the NAPA part store.
Maybe they are not the right type of switch. I just took the light bulbs out for now. I have three of the old switches , so I might try them out and see if they work.)

Thank you for the information.. I think trouble shooting the solenoid is out of my league. I will try to track down a replacement solenoid for the 47.

Lauren R Lampi
Grand Rapids, MN

Posted on: 2013/8/4 20:55
Lauren R Lampi
Grand Rapids, Minn.
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jason Smith
See User information
Lauren,
I don't believe I have a replacement solenoid in stock ready to go, but I can rebuild yours. Give me a call and I'll see if I can help your troubleshooting and then discuss possibly having to rebuild yours.
-Jason

Posted on: 2013/8/14 21:00
Jason
Advanced Electrical Rebuilders
Starter, Generator & Distributor Restoration
jason@aerrebuild.com
www.aerrebuild.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved