Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Backfire
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1950 Packard
See User information
Today I was driving my 1950 Packard. It was smoking. The smoke color was kind a gray blue. Not heavy but more than there should have been. Also as I was driving it would backfire. What is going on? Anybody. How can I correct this?

Posted on: 2013/8/24 23:34
 Top  Print   

Re: Backfire
Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Usually blue smoke indicates oil burning, white is water and black is fuel. The backfire could be an ignition timing issue. Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2013/8/24 23:47
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Helpful to know if the backfire is out the carb or out the tailpipe.

Posted on: 2013/8/25 8:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
As someone said depends on what end, but there's raw fuel or fuel mixture entering either the exhaust and the temperature is high enough to touch it off or it's backing compression through the carb as it fires. Typical causes; timing, misfire(no/intermittent spark - spark plug, bad/lose plug wire, cap/rotor, coil), or valve(s) sticking.
If it sits alot, the oil drains down and worn or gummy things stick. A dead cylinder with bad rings will send gas down into the oil and it can end up anywhere then plus thins the oil. Go through the spark electrical, check the timing and oil for gas smell/cleanliness, and run some valve ease or engine treatment.
Combined with blueish smoke, to me, it's pointing to possible a ring issue. Compression test is in order.

Posted on: 2013/8/25 8:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Probably not the cause of the smoking, but maybe worth mentioning. If the diaphram (sp.?) in the vacuum booster has ruptured you could be sucking oil into the engine. Check the line that connects to the intake manifold and see if is oily. Also, this would cause a vacuum leak and result in a lean mixture which could be causing the backfiring. Just a guess...

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/8/25 14:36
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BlackBeerd
See User information
Yes, do a compression test. I would bet on burnt exhaust valve.

Posted on: 2013/8/25 17:59
1954 Clipper Super Touring Sedan -5462
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved