Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 221

didatelogg, Don B, tsherry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Clutch # 3 has been removed
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tom Still
See User information
All my pretty toys

For those who asked about U-joint part numbers; I used Carquest part # 210-0153 it fit fine. The Precision # is 369. They also fit lots of years of Chevy. I used matching rebuilt clutch parts, but most were from GM. The, now Carquest store, has decades of history and the manager salvaged all the old parts catalogs from the trash. The contemporary list of clutches showed that 10", 10.5" and 11" clutches were used in 54, but 55 only used 11". The one I removed the first time was 10.5" and those parts were rebuilt. It was never satisfactory so I replaced it with a heavy duty pressure plate. That one survived about two years. I did not notice, when I installed it I still had the 10.5" plate. I am now all 11" with heavy springs. The only thing missing now is the ambition to lay on my back on a 100 deg day and fight the transmission in.

Will report the results, Tom

Posted on: 2013/8/26 21:39
 Top  Print   

Re: Clutch # 3 has been removed
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tom Still
See User information
It can be done

One person with two floor jacks can replace a Packard clutch. Observation; if you ask your wife for help, teach her how to drive a floor jack BEFORE it is holding up a 200lb transmission and OD. Tomorrow, the rear mount, shift linkage and driveshaft. 90wt gear lube was voted in and will be added. Is anyone making replacement rubber shift rod couplers? Mine work but don't look pretty. I plan to drive it to the American Legion stake dinner tomorrow.
It's still fun, Tom

Posted on: 2013/8/27 20:49
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved