Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 133

Alvin14, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

22nd/23rd Series Engine Color Survey
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I was participating in a conversation over on the PAC website regarding the correct engine color in 22nd/23rd series cars. All knowledgeable sources that I am aware of say the color is gray ['colour is grey' for our British English speaking friends]. A poster on the website was commenting on the large number of green engines he was encountering while looking at on-line ads. The engine in his 1949 Eight is green. I had seen a few green examples over the years but didn't think there were that many so I went looking.

I went through the 22nd, 23rd series photos in the PackardInfo archive, Hemmings, Craigslist, AutoTrader, and some other on-line sources. I managed to find color pictures of 30 open engine compartments. Here are the results:

50.0% Gray
33.3% Green
10.0% Too rusty to determine color
03.3% Black and Blue
03.3% Red

One-third of all the photos I found showed green engines. So... that brings me to the question I'd like to ask the PackardInfo 22nd/23rd series owners. Does your car(s) have a gray or a green engine? If it's green, why? e.g., personal preference, it came that way from the P.O., looks better with the chrome acorn nuts, none of your business, etc.

I'd like to see what percentage of green engines we come up with. Thanks!

Posted on: 2013/9/1 10:57
 Top  Print   

Re: 22nd/23rd Series Engine Color Survey
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A good question. Vendors could be inadvertently part of the green use. For example, Kanter's 40-50 page lists green with no year distinction. Does say gray is for use in most 23rd but no mention of 22nd. By that reasoning, if I had a 22nd and didn't have a clue, I would be ordering green.

Max only lists one paint for 48-54 and details page has it as green. Says use is for all models except the 54 359.

Hirsch lists green for some 22-23 and gray for most 22-23 but no model distinction. By that reasoning, if I were not sure of the color or couldn't find positive proof, I would assume green might be used. After all, Packard green is famous but not many non Packard people would know about gray engines. They might just assume the green had faded or engine had been repainted at some point.

Posted on: 2013/9/1 11:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
This topic has been subject to seemingly endless discussion. I've always assumed that when Packard revised the engine manufacturing to have all engines with a common bore of 3-1/2" (replacing the 282 with the 288 and introducing the 327) for the 22nd series, the change in engine color was intended to coincide with that event. Maybe yes, maybe no - just my assumption. I can say of the hundreds of 22nd and 23rd series cars I've seen, I've never seen any 23rd series engine or any 22nd series 288 or 327 that could lay legitimate claim to being originally green. In fact the only original 22nd series engines I've seen which were almost certainly originally green are the 356s (Custom 8) made quite early, all had the old prewar style patent plate and had selling dates prior to January, 1948. Most of these also had the headlight door painted in body color, and had the 1947-style front sway bar.

Posted on: 2013/9/1 12:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
I have an early 22nd Series Custom 8 that was sold in late 1947.In the late 60's, although it was a bit dirty, you could still see traces of green paint on the engine. It also had the old style VN plate that showed name of dealer and delivery date.

Posted on: 2013/9/1 12:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Thanks, Dave & GTO I should have mentioned the early 356 exception. I think Howard has nailed the biggest reason there are so many green engines.

Posted on: 2013/9/1 12:50
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mark Buckley
See User information
All I know is that in 2004, when I bought my 1950 Standard Eight, the engine color was green. It looked to me that at least some of the original paint was on the engine at the time.

Posted on: 2013/9/1 13:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
My 2262 is green. Green when i took posession of the car (no body). Engine and paint good condition. Probably a repaint tho. I'll have to look closer but iirc the head gasket edges have no paint on them so i assume a repaint while it was disassemblef at one time. No signs of grey anywhere but i would have to inspect closer.

Posted on: 2013/9/1 13:34
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
As far as any oem factory colors go i would be inclined to follow Owen Dynetos explanation above.

Posted on: 2013/9/1 13:44
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Just had in a 50 Custom with very low miles. It had the top 3/4 of the engine painted the ubiquitous green, but all the hard to reach areas and the whole Ultramatic (casting date 6-49, the earliest I've ever seen) was grey. Someone had prettied it up.

I really go with OD's theory. Once the engine production was rationalized to the 3 1/2 bore they all got hosed down with grey.

When pondering the original color of these engines remember that they got the thinnest possible coating of the cheapest possible paint. If the color coat looks robust at all, I can guarantee it was not factory applied. My customers would never accept a factory quality paint job on a fresh engine.

Posted on: 2013/9/1 14:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
My 1950 23rd Series Deluxe 8 was a pretty original car and the 288 engine was gray under the dirt.

Posted on: 2013/9/2 9:43
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved