Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 120

Todd W. White, HH56, Mike Chirco, ECAnthony, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Frame /body interchange. 2 vs 4 door.
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Does anybody know if a 2 door & a 4 door clipper will swap frames? That is, could a good body be swapped onto great running gear. This goes for a 2/4 door Senior car too.
I suspect drive shafts or body mount issues could arise but it seems like the 2 & 4 doors shared wheel bases on both the Junior & Senior cars..

Posted on: 2013/9/1 14:33
 Top  Print   

Re: Frame /body interchange. 2 vs 4 door.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I don't know, but I have one of each so I'll measure and get back.

One of them is the "flipped clipper" (4DR Super, now vertical) and the other one is my Panther (2Dr Super) which has the body off and frame separated. It shouldn't be hard to measure all the points. Since the weather still sucks (hot & humid), give me until tomorrow to do so.

I also have 2/4 DR Seniors, but they are both complete cars, so that would be more difficult.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/9/1 14:56
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
From what I see in the service manuals, the overall frame dimensions are the same. The big difference is the outriggers or body mount points. Some are the same for both styles. On 2 doors there are a couple slightly revised and/or additional locations. The frame section of the service manuals has illustrations and measurements.

Posted on: 2013/9/1 16:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
It looks like I am talking to the right guys.
I am seriously trying to avoid building me a Packard but it is an addiction that I fight,making the car that one wants.
My search has turned up all sorts of cool "opportunities" & perhaps I will end up with a builder or two, mix & match & sell what is left?? (rest assured guys, I am not one of those tasteless car assassins...
The market is full of great cars that need everything
though the economics will have you upside down in a car pretty fast.

Posted on: 2013/9/1 18:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
HH56 Quote:
The big difference is the outriggers or body mount points. Some are the same for both styles. On 2 doors there are a couple slightly revised and/or additional locations.

Howard, Avanti64:

Yup, that's what I'm going to measure because that is what is in front of my eyes. At least tomorrow early AM when it's cool.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/9/1 22:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
What Howard (HH56) posted above is true. The only difference in frames between my 5542 (Clipper Super Sedan) and 5647 (Clipper Super Hardtop) is that the HT has one extra body bracket outrigger located at the center of the frame. The 4DR does not have one, but the body and frame looks like it would accept one on each side.

View of bottom of 5542 (Flipped Clipper):
Resized Image

Closeup view of location of missing outrigger:
Resized Image

Craig

Posted on: 2013/9/2 11:09
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved