Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
84 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 83

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

wiper motor
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

fern51
See User information
would anybody know what the trico model number for the wiper motor on the 51 200 deluxe would be?

Posted on: 2008/9/19 15:58
 Top  Print   

Re: wiper motor
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've got several Trico catalogs and I'll look it up later this evening, though I think most of my listings are prewar. In any case why not just give a call to Ficken Wiper Service? They're very helpful and will surely know.

Posted on: 2008/9/19 16:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Or, since 1951 is basically the same as 1955-56 you could go electric. Contact julianos.com I have a conversion on my 55 Pat and it works great.

Craig

Posted on: 2008/9/19 20:41
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My Trico catalogs are all pre-war, but make a call to

Ficken Wiper Service
132 Calvert Ave
West Babylon, NY 11704
631-587-3332.

This business is built on the remains of a former Trico service center and provides superb parts and service. My own personal preference would be to resist converting to electric; besides the authenticity issue, they offer little if any advantage over a properly maintained vacuum system except perhaps in climbing Mt. McKinley in a monsoon.

Posted on: 2008/9/20 8:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I would personally go with the electric conversion, as vacuum wipers are totally worthless. I've had several cars with them and I've never had any luck with them, even when rebuilt. They went to electric wipers for a reason, and that reason is vacuum wipers are worthless. If you want to keep an "original" look, try a '55-'57 Chevy wiper motor, it will bolt on and still use the original cable. All you have to do is add a power wire, as the ground is integral with the bracket.

Posted on: 2008/9/20 16:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
vacuum wipers are worthless.

Obviously either or experiences, expectations, or both are quite different with respect to vacuum wipers.

Posted on: 2008/9/20 18:03
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

pandamarie
See User information
I have used 57 chevy wiper motors on all the 53s I use to own and they work great, bolt right up with ease. only way to go in my opinion. Im going to use a 41 wiper motor in my 36 since I have a spare with the stantions, yes they were electric.

Posted on: 2008/9/21 9:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I believe the vacuum wiper motor was adequate for the purpose for which it was intended and can be made to work as well as new.

I now believe the fist step, after inspection of the vacuum source(s) and hoses, is to follow the oiling instructions that HH56 pointed out in a post in another thread:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1369&forum=3&post_id=12669#forumpost12669

Beyond that, you may have to send the unit of too a trusted rebuilder of the Trico vacuum motors, like Ficken.

I think Packard and other automakers stayed with vaccum wipers as long as they did to limit the load on the battery and generator - perhaps in favor of other electric accessories.

Yet, if I were going to convert to electric wiper motor, I think I'd steer clear of modern hot-rod stuff and spend the extra $$$ for a Chevy wiper motor (or reproduction thereof) as Eric suggested.

Posted on: 2008/9/21 10:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Turbopacman wrote

Quote:
I would personally go with the electric conversion, as vacuum wipers are totally worthless. I've had several cars with them and I've never had any luck with them, even when rebuilt. They went to electric wipers for a reason, and that reason is vacuum wipers are worthless. If you want to keep an "original" look, try a '55-'57 Chevy wiper motor, it will bolt on and still use the original cable. All you have to do is add a power wire, as the ground is integral with the bracket.

Enter my two cents worth. I have to agree with Turbopacman regarding electric verses vacuum wiper motors. I too have had many cars with vacuum wiper motors and they all (except for the car I have now) would stall even on the slightest of grades. I must say to my amazement that the vacuum wiper motor on my 51 300 does not and has never stalled. I have played with it and tried to make it stall but it just keeps on ticking. It does slow a little on hard acceleration but does not stop. Figure that one.

BTW I've read that the vacuum wiper motors should be lubricated about twice a year. I'm afraid to touch this one. I'm afraid if I tried to do the right thing and oil it it would stop all together.

Posted on: 2008/9/21 21:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
Those who have done the 57 chevy electric wiper conversion on the pre-55 cars-is there any conversion needed to use the Chevy wiper in a 6 volt system?

Posted on: 2008/11/28 19:29
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved