Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
87 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 86

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Kanter rear gas shocks for '54 Patrician...
Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
Ross, you brought up a very good point. I was going through other posts on this forum this weekend and came across one of bobby previous post on tire pressue and his tire size was posted in that post. He is running a 8.20-15 so that may be where the issue lies with the tire clearance when removing his tire. That car should be running a 8.00-15. But we will know for sure when we get the measurements from bobby.

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Product

Bobby Re: Tire Pressure #21
Home away from home

From USA
Posts: 146 I've got 820-15's on my 5406, and according to the Packard service adviser update, the correct inflation is 22/20. I recall the original spec of 24/24, which provided a noticeably harsher ride (esp. over bumps and pavement irregularities) with no improvement in handling...very un Packard like!

There's no harm done keeping the tires at 24 if you like that pressure, you typically get better MPG and handling with higher pressures, as well as improved tire life, although the couple of lbs. we're talking about would probably provide negligible results, especially if you only use it as a Sunday cruiser.

As a FWIW, if your car is original and you prefer firmer handling (these cars actually handled well given their size and weight), then it might be worthwhile to change out the bushings in the suspension and install new shocks.

Posted on: 3/22 11:02:46

Posted on: 2013/10/14 7:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just by memory, but I believe the only 54th series Packard to use 8.20 x 15 tires was the 5426 chassis (long wheelbase 8 passenger limo and sedan). I have a friend with a 54 Cavalier running 8.20 x 15 and he has to deflate the rear tires to remove them. I can't say this is the problem in the current case, just hoping this added information is useful.

Posted on: 2013/10/14 8:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Although an old post that I'm sure must have been resolved by now (no followup was posted), I've always used 8.20 X 15 tires (Allstate Guardsman) on my 1954 Patrician and have never had trouble installing or removing them. I don't recall which shocks are installed but they were from a local auto parts store. Even my 1953 Patrician with L78 X 15 tires had no real trouble getting them on or off although they did drag a bit during the process so they were not a loose fit. It might make a difference if lifting the entire rear end vs lifting only one side but I don't recall any problem either way.

As far as tire size is concerned, I seem to recall reading years ago that the standard size for the 1954 Patrician was 8.00 X 15 as stated above but that 8.20 X 15 was optional. I am not sure now after all these decades where I read that but perhaps in was in the specification section of the Service Counsellor.

On tire pressure, I've always put in 30lbs front and 32lbs rear, or even both 32lbs. I don't know where 20lbs or 22lbs came from that someone mentioned (and I didn't double check the specifications) but I know that with so little pressure they would look quite flat and would ride very mushy. Perhaps the original tires were stiffer to work with lower pressure.

Posted on: 2016/1/16 17:08
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved