Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
90 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 90

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

ground strap
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Appears from other postings that the negative battery cable should be 2/0 cable. Am I right in thinking that ideally the positive ground strap should be of equivalent size. I see many sold by online vendors are rated 1/0.
Thanks.

Posted on: 2013/10/21 14:32
 Top  Print   

Re: ground strap
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
1/0 is bigger (larger current carrying capacity) than 2/0 so it is good. very good.

Posted on: 2013/10/21 15:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Perhaps it's not a universal sentiment but I'm a believer in oversize grounds particularly for the larger engined cars. Not sure what size Max's 47 Clipper ground is but his other cable to starter solenoid is 1/0. Probably adequate and most likely what Packard used.

I don't know what the original cables looked like but Max's cable appears to be modern rubber or vinyl covered with a length of woven fabric loom covering the vinyl. I didn't particularly like the look but will use it for the bat to solenoid cable. For my car I ordered a custom 00 black cloth covered ground cable from Y & Z to work with my disconnect. Longer than original and in two pieces so another reason for oversize. Downside to the 00 is it's big and stiff and a little hard to bend. If you are going to use 00 to the solenoid as well, make sure there is no strain on the solenoid terminal so nothing will get bent or pulled excessively.

Also, while not original to 47's, I'm going to do a bare woven braid between engine and frame.

Posted on: 2013/10/21 15:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

casey rog
See User information
I had problems starting my 51 300 after I replaced the rings.
I went from a braided ground strap to a 00 cable I got from Farm and Fleet, it was $10.00 for the two foot length. From the battery to the solenoid I bought the proper 30" length from McMaster Carr, $19.99. The new cables make starting a lot easier with the 6 volt system, and the cable ends do not get hot after a long period of cranking.

Posted on: 2013/10/21 16:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Thanks Casey and Howard,
The 356 is being rebuilt so I expect it will be a bit harder to turn over and it seemed to turn slow even with pathetic compression.
I ordered a new 00 (2/0) cable in black rubber for the negative/ battery to solenoid run and you are right Howard, its very stiff and is considerably thicker than 1 ga. - thanks for the warning about stress on the solenoid - I ordered it long so that I can adjust the length to minimize strain. I ordered the ground cable in red rubber and I can tell I'm not going to like it. I like the look of braided cable for the ground.
Then things got complicated. I found the horn wire I was looking for earlier (orange with two black tracers) and since I only need a wee bit, I thought I could order braided ground at the same time. But...looks like they only carry 0 (1/0) braided wire.
I guess if this stuff were simple and easy it wouldn't be as much fun.
Thanks Guys,
Mark

Posted on: 2013/10/21 21:04
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved