Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Electronic Ignition conversion report
Home away from home
Home away from home

bigmoparjeff
See User information
I'm really happy that this thread just got resurrected, as I installed a Petronix kit in the '48 Custom 8. Problems with the overdrive circuit and solid wires never entered my mind. I decided to switch to electronic ignition because the cam in the distributor was worn to the point where I would never be able to get the proper dwell out of it. Now I'm hoping that the wire set that I got from Kanter isn't solid core wires.

To find out if they have a kit for your car, you need the part number off of the distributor.

http://www.pertronix.com/support/ignitor-kit/default.aspx

Jeff

Posted on: 2013/10/25 23:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote:
" ...cam in the
distributor was worn ....".

Ok, but ive never seen such. If that statement implies worn distributor BUSHINGS then u have other much deeper and serious impending problems. But then again probably nNot a problem if it is a trailor queen only.

Posted on: 2013/10/26 7:17
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Moparjeff,
Your avatar, what is that???? It looks like a space ship.

Posted on: 2013/10/26 7:20
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If in fact the distributor needs rebushing you may find this helpful.

http://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=860

Posted on: 2013/10/26 7:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
Moparjeff,

Click to see original Image in a new window

Keith, if the white rabbit lies on a flying carpet, then yes. Marfusha ("Little Martha"), the real rabbit cosmonaut, that made a spaceflight on 2 July 1959, had marbled fur.

Click to see original Image in a new window

pictures sources

#1 - www.necdetyilmaz.com
#2 - Flickr

Attach file:

jpg  (10.05 KB)
757_526bc40b52d73.jpg 375X250 px

Posted on: 2013/10/26 8:30
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
Earlier this year I installed the Pertronix electronic ignition in my '48 Custom and it's working just fine so far. With it I also installed the accompanying coil they sell. In black it looks stock. There are no R9 overdrive issues that I am aware of. All seems well. The wiring differences are noted earlier. It does all look stock except for the wire exiting the distributor (instead of the terminal).

Posted on: 2013/10/26 14:56
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1948 Custom Touring Sedan (22nd Series)
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bigmoparjeff
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
Moparjeff,

You're just a wee bit off on your guess.

Here's a better picture.

Attach file:

jpg  (42.38 KB)
5012_52710dbf9ed3e.jpg 820X484 px

Posted on: 2013/10/30 8:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bigmoparjeff
See User information
Quote:

Rebus wrote:
Earlier this year I installed the Pertronix electronic ignition in my '48 Custom and it's working just fine so far. With it I also installed the accompanying coil they sell. In black it looks stock. There are no R9 overdrive issues that I am aware of. All seems well. The wiring differences are noted earlier. It does all look stock except for the wire exiting the distributor (instead of the terminal).

Do you have resistor wires or resistor plugs on the car? I just checked the wires that I bought from Kanter, and they are definitely solid copper wires. My car has the tiny 10mm plugs, so those are non-resistor also.

Jeff

Posted on: 2013/10/30 8:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Ok. I can see it as a rabbit now and since guscha posted above. But before that it appeared much more square than elongated. Maybe i stared at it for too long the first time i saw it.
Sometimes loggic and proportions fall sloppy dead for me. Thanks everyone for the clarification of the avitar.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 8:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bigmoparjeff
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
Quote:
" ...cam in the
distributor was worn ....".

Ok, but ive never seen such. If that statement implies worn distributor BUSHINGS then u have other much deeper and serious impending problems. But then again probably nNot a problem if it is a trailor queen only.

The piece with the 8 bumps that opens and closes the points is worn down. The edges are rounded off a bit where the rubbing block for the points rides. I would have to guess that it wasn't lubricated often enough. As far as I know, this isn't uncommon with points type distributors. With a worn down cam, you loose your point gap as you try to get the proper dwell setting. If the gap isn't large enough, it can burn the points because it won't be able to break the arc.

The rest of the distributor is in great shape. No slop in the bushings, the mechanical and vacuum advances work fine. It has a nifty little device on the side that you fill with grease, then turn the knob every so often to add new grease to the bushings.

The service manual says that the car should have an Autolite, but it has a Delco, so I don't know if it's the original or not. I do know that manuals aren't always gospel on mass produced items, and parts get substituted often when they run out of the right ones on the assembly line.

Jeff

Posted on: 2013/10/30 9:09
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved