Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 152

Joe, Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: How fast have you been in a Packard?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Only Packard I've ever been in is my own '53 Clipper...70 MPH turning 3000 RPM but felt like it was floating on air.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 23:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
90 mph indicated, driving Dick Homer's 1949 Custom 8 on the proving grounds track at the 1982 PAC meet in Detroit.
Probably close to actual since the car was running on the upper level of the banking on the track.

Posted on: 2013/11/2 0:55
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

dano55400
See User information
I do 70 in my 55 400 but I like to stay at 55 or 60.

Posted on: 2013/11/2 4:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
On I-95 heading south to Fredericksburg, VA in my '55 Clipper, I was averaging about 73 mph and at one point topped 80 mph. The engine didn't feel stressed at all, ran as smooth as silk. I can't verify the accuracy of the speedometer since the needle is prone to wiggling around at times, but I was keeping up with traffic for the most part. I have to figure that my car could definitely reach or exceed 90 mph.

Posted on: 2013/11/2 7:10
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
I was in my 49 Deluxe, 288 with OD, following 3 cars and a truck with a small mini excavator on a trailer. They were all going about 40 mph and no one would pass the truck. Got a chance to go, so I pulled out and steadily pushed the pedal down. When I pulled back in, indicated was 80. I think actual was more like 70 going by what the GPS showed when running around town. Engine pulled good and steady all the way and didn't complain a bit.

Posted on: 2013/11/2 9:27
If it won't move, get a bigger wrench.
If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

WC
See User information
While in college/grad school, I had 2 '56 Clippers at the same time (1967-72, approx). A Deluxe with 3-speed and no o/d and a Super with Uglymatic. The Deluxe had a 3.54 and the Super had 3.07 final gears. The only other difference was dual exhaust on the Super and single on the Deluxe, both had the 2 bbl carb. I never tried to go all out top end but the Deluxe could sprint around traffic on a 2 lane road faster than the Super and would set me back in the seat @ 70 when I stood on it. I had both up to an indicated 90 more than once and each was happy to cruise at 70 and 80. It seemed the speedo on the Super was more optimistic than the Deluxe but there was no GPS for a comparison. I always wondered if Packard was very choosy about the speedo gears...

Posted on: 2013/11/2 11:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
Let's not try to set any records, guys.

Posted on: 2013/11/2 12:34
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

markinroseburg
See User information
The fastest I've gone with my 51 Patty is 45. It ran SO quiet, required no braking effort at all, cornering was a breeze and it used virtually no fuel. I seem to remember that it WAS chained down to a car trailer and was laboring a late model Suburban quite well

Posted on: 2013/11/2 13:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
markincoosbay Quote:
The fastest I've gone with my 51 Patty is 45. It ran SO quiet, required no braking effort at all, cornering was a breeze and it used virtually no fuel. I seem to remember that it WAS chained down to a car trailer and was laboring a late model Suburban quite well.

One of the best stories yet!

Posted on: 2013/11/2 13:38
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Hey 39six, If ya can't say anything nice...

Posted on: 2013/11/2 16:14
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved