Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Another (real) Clipper for the list
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tom Still
See User information
This one claims to be a Clipper on the door. I don't know how long it has been sitting here; its neighbor has a 30 foot palm growing through the engine compartment. It is sandwiched between a 39 Studebaker and a 75 Mont e Carlo. I took the body number off the cowl but had a bit of a problem with the door post Number. The driver's door would not open far enough with the Monte Carlo and the hinges were so rusted that it wouldn't open anyway.
Body number; 1692 3602 (thanks for the Packard Font, still looks like "I" to me)
This car has very interesting headlight rings that are inside the original chrome rings and extend about 3" out past the bulbs. They appear to be aluminum. I haven't had much luck with pictures, I'll try again. This is a car destined to be a parts donor or full custom. It would be a fortune to restore.
I'll try pictures again, Tom

Attach file:

jpg  (165.37 KB)
5112_52a14c580a14b.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/12/5 23:04
 Top  Print   

Re: Another (real) Clipper for the list
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
There is no number on the door post for these 21st Series cars, only the square plate on the upper left cowl and possibly a Briggs number on a small rectangular plate on the firewall. I'm sure that Dave C (Owen Dyneto) would be interested in the theft proof number if it could be provided.

Posted on: 2013/12/6 1:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes Tom, I'd love to have the embossed theft-proof or body dash number to go along with the vehicle number of 1692-3602. A 1692 is a 1946 Clipper Eight touring sedan.

Posted on: 2013/12/6 9:24
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tom Still
See User information
I didn't see another number when I took the one off the embossed tag that was riveted to the firewall. I didn't look very hard when I found the door post inaccessible. The next time I hack my way through the underbrush I'll look for it. Is that number also on a plate or is it embossed directly on the firewall like mine. There are several other Packards roaming around, as I see them, I'll try to document numbers, Tom

Posted on: 2013/12/8 0:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Is that number also on a plate or is it embossed directly on the firewall

Large embossed number on the engine side of the firewall.

Posted on: 2013/12/8 9:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
O_D would this be an example what to look for?
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (52.82 KB)
1003_52a5c9ce1227a.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/12/9 8:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, the large, upper embossed number is the theft-proof or body serial number, and the lower (on the tag) is the Briggs body number used on postwar Briggs-built bodies. On the Briggs tag the first 4 digits should match those of the vehicle number; the 2nd set of digits may or may not match the corresponding second set on the vehicle number.

Posted on: 2013/12/9 9:26
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved