Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
83 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 79

37Blanche, DM37, 29tons, Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

Re: Cool Xmas for BigKev ?? READ THIS NOW PLEASE
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Are these correct for Packard? I've never seen these tubes with black ends like this before especially on the output side of the tube.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/pts/4232690240.html

Posted on: 2013/12/9 11:04
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'm thinking someone tried to disguise or blend those ducts better into a dark upholstery. They look like they might have been dipped into paint. I have a pair for an ARA unit that are totally clear as are these shown in an ebay photo from another Novi unit.

Attach file:

jpg  (65.21 KB)
209_52a62ddd29ade.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2013/12/9 15:54
Howard

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Howard,

Thanks for confirming that. These ones will get passed on then.

Posted on: 2013/12/9 16:11
-BigKev

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Looks like some cars did have those painted ends..... take a look at this car, looks to be the same tubes:

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2013/12/9 17:42
-BigKev

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Apparently so. Perhaps something in the unit customization & made for a particular line or mfg. It may disguise the bottom so you don't see as much of the adapter connection but I don't see any particular advantage on the top -- at least not on the cars where the tops end inside the window. Those for sale look to be in fairly decent condition so maybe worth the price.

Does your unit have the center grill?

Posted on: 2013/12/9 17:52
Howard

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
So ordered some Cadillac rear round outlet vents(louvers) that appear to look similar to what I have seen on other cars where the clear tubes are not used. (attached)

I still need to figure what I can use for the center "inlet" vent. It looks similar to the rear speaker grill I have seen on some Packards.

I wonder if both options were available together....could you have a rear speaker and rear A/C in '55? I am sure on Factory 53/54 A/C with the quarter panel inlet vents you probably could, but this uses a center package tray recirc inlet vent.

So to me, the most elegant solution is to find a rear speaker grill and use that. I have a rear defroster grill and unit, but more that likely, I wont be able to use that going forward, and I think the defrosted grill is too small to use for the A/C inlet.

So more than likely I will end up selling off the Rear Defroster unit (grill and integrated electric heater/blower)

Attach file:

jpg  (27.50 KB)
1_52a76dd529e3e.jpg 502X376 px

jpg  (16.40 KB)
1_52a76ddd7db88.jpg 386X279 px

Posted on: 2013/12/10 14:39
-BigKev

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The original 53-4 Packard unit had two oval speaker like return grills horizontally mounted on the shelf with the rear speaker vertically between them. Believe the aftermarkets with dual inlets might have been similar only with rectangle shaped grills. I think it was either/or for the speaker or defroster and not both.

Old Air has a return grill for their trunk units -- part # 49-16 as shown being the center grill in this photo. If you are interested in that style, I bought that particular trunk unit for the 47 and won't be using the return grill. You can have it and the large hose if you want to go modern plastic. If you go that way, one may be enough if you make an adapter to have the hose cover both inlets. Otherwise, you will probably need a second one for the other air inlet. Don't know for sure but if you are getting the rest of your components from them, perhaps they will sell a separate grill. That single hose will probably be long enough for both but depends on the kind of adapter needed to fit at the Novi unit end.

Attach file:

jpg  (35.47 KB)
209_52a7733c149e2.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2013/12/10 15:03
Howard

Home away from home
Home away from home

phsnkw
See User information
You could always do this.
Have the two exit vents as normal and mount two speaker grills with the defogger in the middle. Then just use one of the speaker grills for the return air and the other as a speaker. That way you would have all the gadgets on your car. I don't know about the noise of the returning air though.

Posted on: 2013/12/10 15:23
"Do you ever think about the things you do think about?"

Inherit the Wind

Just popping in
Just popping in

fourpack
See User information
Hi Dave,

Just sent a few bucks to our mutual friend Kev. The klutz that I am the money flew out without me saying what it's for, but I assume Kev will know that it is a Christmas contribution towards a cool Packard summer.

Sis' kitchen is next in turn.

Ole

Posted on: 2013/12/10 18:20

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thanks Ole'!

Posted on: 2013/12/11 11:56
-BigKev

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved