Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
85 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 83

Steve McCracken, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Good prices for clutch parts
Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Found a site that has reasonable prices on clutch pressure plates and disks. $89 for plates and $24-85 for disks.http://www.vapinc.com/clutch/main.html

Posted on: 2008/9/30 14:01
 Top  Print   

Re: Good prices for clutch parts
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Thanks, I am looking to buy a new clutch disc.

Posted on: 2008/9/30 14:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I send mine, for rebuild, through NAPA to Memphis. My cost is about $135 for both disk and pressure plate. So your prices are not out of line from what I know, especially for new.

Posted on: 2008/9/30 15:35
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Found a pair of NOS rear axles for a '41 Willys on this Site for a guy in the Packard club here who's also restoring a Willys. They have a lot of other parts for many and various makes of cars. And......when the courier delivered the axles my wife, Kath, almost suffered a hernia when he handed her the package!

Posted on: 2008/9/30 15:38
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I guess nobody knows that Chevy clutch discs and Ford pressure plates will work on Packards, right?

Posted on: 2008/9/30 18:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No, I think the pressure plate interchangeability is reasonably well known at least to those who read the various interchange manuals like Hollanders and the PI manual which make note of it for a variety of Packards, Oldsmobiles, LaSalles and Cadillacs but also carries the notation that they (Ford pressure plates) are of a lesser quality and should be used only in an emergency. [/i] Source for this statement is Packards International Interchange Manual of November, 1978.

My personal preference would be have an original Packard pressure plate and/or disc rebuilt or relined before resorting to an interchange, whenever possible.

Posted on: 2008/9/30 19:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
That may have been true 20 years ago, but with today's materials I'm willing to bet a quality clutch disc or pressure plate would be better than an NOS Packard part. Or, if it's that big a worry, buy a performance SFI approved one from Summit or Jegs. If the appearance is identical to the original, I wouldn't think twice about using a modern interchange part.

Posted on: 2008/9/30 20:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No doubt that's true.

Posted on: 2008/9/30 20:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
The differences in the Pressure Plates is the (oem) Ford specs were less than Packard, particularly on the 9.5" clutches. I learned from experience on that - weaker Ford PP didn't last a few hundred miles. NOS, NORS or New, the issue is specifications (and quality of course). Fort Wayne Clutch "speaks the language", as does most any Good clutch rebuilder in any (major) city. Personally, I keep an eye out for the 9 spring 9.5" version, that's the only one that is not always readily obtainable.

Posted on: 2008/10/1 0:04
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved