Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 156

Dealer1, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Another (real) Clipper for the list revisited
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tom Still
See User information
This is the first chance I've had to brave the boat burial grounds to the lost Clipper. There is a stamped number on the firewall; it was hidden under a layer of spider webs and dirt. The numbers are 66?945. The "?" is a square with a slight V on top. I suspect it is 0 or O but I don't see it in the list of Packard font. I will post a picture as soon as I learn how to drive my new (Smart?) cell phone. I'm still intrigued by the headlight rings. They can't be Packard, might they be some 50's or 60's fad? I talked to the owner; he probably will be at the Doubletree next month, more on that later.
Next topic will be the saga of the 55 Clipper gas tank. First I have to solve it. Tom

Attach file:

jpg  (104.52 KB)
5112_52ccbe39b7738.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/1/7 21:56
 Top  Print   

Re: Another (real) Clipper for the list revisited
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I wonder if it was an overboard attempt to copy some other styling. Lincoln had a similar arrangement starting with the recessed lights inside deep sloping chrome hoods in 49-51. Those ends were flush the fender but then they went to the protruding hoods but less recessed lights of 52-3.

I don't remember any other cars with a similar arrangement but the pieces look like something a customizer would not easily be able to make. Be interesting to know if they are a stamped or mfg'd item.

I can't help but wonder on the practicality though. Headlights were not known to be spectacular back then but do put a bit of light out to the side. Recessing them deeply in that styling would seem like it would make matters worse.

Attach file:

jpg  (15.35 KB)
209_52ccc3bb4ca4e.jpg 471X165 px

Posted on: 2014/1/7 22:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The numbers are 66?945.

My database shows that 21st Series Packards have a range of 650994 to 742458. The lowest known (to me) # for a 1947 model is 682561 so it would appear this vehicle is a 21st series 1946 car.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 23:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Interesting headlight trim ring. The bulb seems to be smaller than the conventional 7" size. The bulb may appear smaller due to being recessed in the trim ring, or do you suppose this was someone's attempt to fit smaller driving lights?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/1/8 12:23
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved