Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Packards International
Just popping in
Just popping in

OsgoodConklin
See User information
Facts and questions for the PI Board to consider
1. Three Regions gone in last two years.
2. More Registrations or less Registrations from past years at PI Annual Meet for 2014?
3. What are the membership numbers for 2014 up or down?
4. Is the Club website current and publications on time?
An objective look would seem to indicate a change might be needed.
How about free elections to start with?
What about 6 or 7 non Board members being appointed to put together a 5 year plan for the club with the report open for discussion by the membership?

I admit that to me all the hard work of Fred and Carol over the years is being seriously eroded.

Posted on: 2014/2/17 21:37
 Top  Print   

Re: Packards International
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
I'm not sure this is the place to air these concerns. Packard Info. has served as a place to bring people together, from different geographical locations, as well as various clubs, and across a broad range of interests including pre-war, V-8, modified, and restored. I suppose it's hard when things change, especially a beloved club.

I'd suggest that Packard Info. Is a place for neutrality and enjoyment of the marquee. Honestly, the website, in part, came to fruition so no club, individual, or overpowering sponsor nor business could exert power or control and use it to serve their interests.

I would respectfully ask we, as privileged members of this community do the same in return. Let the clubs find their way, and respect the autonomy of this website, and the clubs respectively. I think everyone can co-exist and do their best, whatever their best is at that time, to promote the Packard automobile.

Just my thoughts, respectfully shared.

Jim Wagnon

Posted on: 2014/2/18 0:06
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Agreed Jim!

Posted on: 2014/2/18 10:14
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Speaking only for myself, if this is the time to reunite the two clubs, I('m all for it and welcome new members to the Packard club...

The split was both silly and offensive; hopefully we are all older and wiser.

Welcome aboard!

Posted on: 2014/2/21 15:26
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Wrong place or not, I had no idea that at one time there was only a single national Packard club. All the car clubs are suffering. The CCCA has lost regions as well.

There are structural problems like expense, the inability of do it yourself restorations, road speeds that make the cars limited use, and a falling standard of living.

I've lived in over a dozen states and am a member of a car club. In all those states only one local member ever called up to introduce themselves. That's not much of an encouragement to join a club. Heck, in the old days Bob Turnquist did time on the phone drumming up goodwill.

Posted on: 2014/2/21 20:08
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmy Scichilone
See User information
Many car club groups are struggling mainly because of an aging membership, lack of newer members and some of the infighting that goes on in the groups. When I bought my first Packard I joined our local group here in Ohio and I am the youngest member at 61 ! But the problem is more than just that....My first meeting with the group was at a local dinner....I attended and introduced myself to several people as a new member and first time attendee... at least 3 or 4 people said "Hi Ya", and just walked away! NO ONE welcomed me to the group....no one introduced themselves back....its was incredible to me that the owners of the "gentlemans car bought by gentleman and sold by gentleman" would have such poor manners.... Even the president of the group who got up and briefly spoke at the event did not bother to introduce me to the group.... It certainly did NOT make me feel very welcome.....especially since Im sitting there in a room full of strangers who are ignoring me.... I did not let it affect my standing with the group....nor my attitude and this is in fact the first time Ive mentioned it..... I urge people to make new people feel welcome in a club.....Introduce yourselves and welcome the new member and MAKE him or her FEEL welcome.... Group memberships are dwindling.....and a lot of it is the fault of the groups..!

Posted on: 2014/2/21 21:21
De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum...Speak Only Good Of The Dead.....
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Introduce yourselves and welcome the new member and MAKE him or her FEEL welcome.... Group memberships are dwindling.....and a lot of it is the fault of the groups..!
That is exactly why I try to welcome new members here and Dave Czirr also does this on the PAC website. I didn't join the local Packard club for different reasons, but was a member of a local car club that allowed anyone to join who had an interest in cars. We used to put on a good show once a year, gave out 32 classes of trophies, had live and on-air entertainment. We raffled off a car every year, and gave a lot of money to charity. There are only two of us left.
Other hobbies are aging also. I belong to the Train Collectors Assoc. and our membership is dropping because of age. The younger generation is no longer interested in cars and toys. They don't even talk to each other.
But you can make a difference by just being friendly when someone asks about your car. ACOlds and I attend a lot of car shows together and we'll stay late and talk to anyone who is interested. I try to remember not to talk down to them although you do get some dumb questions.

Posted on: 2014/2/21 23:47
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Frankly the people and events have to be approachable by younger people, or younger people wont be interested. Really the general "cold shoulder" attitude given to me when I tried to get help with my car spawned this website.

Younger people are not really interested in concourse events, or formal dinners, they are actually interested in driving and working on the cars. Sometimes more so than the older guys. They usually have much less money in their pockets, so are willing to put in the sweat equity into their cars, and work on cars that others think are not worth the time or money. Also they like to drive them, and not just on occasion to play dress up for a fancy dinner. But actually take them to the local cruise nights, or the local drive thru or a road trip.

It's all about the clubs and members of the clubs being approachable. The guys my age and younger appreciate the V12s and Full Classics and high dollar cars, but they are just not 1) Affordable, 2) Practical to drive and flog around town and have a good time in.

So if you go to a Club gathering and their "lesser" cars are looked down upon, then you probably have just lost that younger member.

When I take my car to a local shows and cruise nights, I get lots of older guys who come over and are amazed a Packard is there, and lots of younger guys who are very interested as they like the styling and it's something different and they ask a ton of great questions. The clubs need to embrace those type of cars more, as that is what is going to be affordable and in reach of younger members.

Also younger members are wired. They expect email, websites, instant communication and feedback. No one wants to wait for a newsletter, quarterly magazine, or monthly meetings. It's about evolving with the times, not stuck in time.

Just my

Posted on: 2014/2/22 1:08
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
BigKev is so so right! I hope he knows the true IMMENSE value of his Packardinfo website. Outreach like this fabulous site is THE FUTURE of car clubs and the car hobby. His Packard website has brought and kept so many people into Packards it is amazing. The website alone has invigorated my excitement for these cars. You can not believe how much I have learned from reading quality blogs like the restoration of his 1954 Clipper.

I am middle age and see both sides of this hobby transition.
I am both in the "now" and "then" generations

The general "cold shoulder" "attitude" experienced by the younger generation is indeed there! the younger folks go to some of these car club meetings and functions and feel out of place by the "older cliques". They feel these clubs are just social gatherings to talk about so and so's health, kids, grandchildren, and knee replacements... The younger folks want to talk about turning wrenches baby!!!!

These older folks are actually fine folks who have knowledge that is truly INCREDIBLE but they do not understand this younger "now" generation. The "now" generation thinks it's absurd to wait for a snail mail newsletter, quarterly magazine, or to attend BORING monthly meetings.

The older crowd does look down on what they perceive as "lesser" cars. They walk by them at a show and won't even talk with them sometimes. This is a royal shame.

Face it , In reality EVERY Packard ever made was and is a damn neat car. The Packard history and saga is like no other American marque and this site helps telling this wonderful all-American success and then dramatic failure story!!!!

Indeed as Kevin said it's all about the clubs and members of the clubs being approachable. Let us all be more approachable.....

Posted on: 2014/2/22 2:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
To me, car clubs are formed not only for like minded, but to fight these nuts, EPA, and the elected who keep taxing the auto, making the price of gas out of reach for lower income workers,,,

Car clubs need to focus on getting yearly, car registration abolished, and other auto attacking laws,,

Getting rid of the EPA, are jets, taxed for the tons of hc from those engines?,, no, its business,,,,,

TCA, (train club),,i did not renew, they up'd the cost to 50 a year,, really does a kid have fifty bucks ,,, they are out of touch,,

my local train club is still 25 a year,

PI has there , you must be a PI member to join a local.. all that 75 a year,,,,,

some of my gripes,,,,,,,

Posted on: 2014/2/22 3:02
Riki
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved