Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

fransmission fluid spewing ultramatic
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

casey rog
See User information
I have a 51 300 with a 53 ultramatic. I installed the transmission last summer, drove it a few times with no problems or leaks.
This winter I start the car every few weeks to keep the fluids moving. Last week I started the car, ran it for about 20 minutes, (no trans fluid leaking). When I turned off the engine I heard a guirgling sound. Looking under the car I saw trans fluid leaking on both sides of the pan.
I know I torqued the trans pan properly and attached the lines properly since I pulled the engine.
I started the car yesterday (33 degree temperature, the first time the tempertaure was about 15 degrees), and the same thing happened after I turned off the engine: no leaks when it runs, leaks after I turn it off.
Unfortunately it has been too cold to get under the car and see exactly where the leak is occuring.
Plese help, I finally have the car running on all 8 cylinders after the rebuild, the trans ran like new after the summer, and I was looking forward to crusing a soon as it gets warn.
Thanks everyone in advance.
Casey Rog

Posted on: 2014/2/20 13:56
 Top  Print 

Re: fransmission fluid spewing ultramatic
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Fluid is most likely coming out the vent, not the seam between the pan and case. Others will be along shortly with some good advice for you. It may not be as bad as you think.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/2/20 18:54
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think you are going to have to get under and find out exactly where it's from.

The vent on that trans is on top of the case so unless the trans is at a severe angle, for it to be coming out while stationary it would have to be totally full of fluid and then some. The speedo/governor drive worm if installed backward can throw oil out the vent but the car has to be moving for that to happen. Also check the tightness of the oil cooler lines and make sure the dipstick cap is tight.

Is the fluid pure? If the trans oil cooler has sprung a leak, pressurized coolant could be forced back into the trans when the engine stops. Normally that would not happen but is a possibility if there is no higher counterpressure from the trans pump to prevent it.

Posted on: 2014/2/20 19:25
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
If you check the Ultramatic section of the 51-54 installment of this site's Service Index feature, you'll find several topics WRT oil loss and/or leaks.

In fact, there's a summary regarding oil loss through the breather covering several years/editions of the Ultramtic that was published by Studebaker (after Packard's Detroit offices had ben closed). In some cases, Studebaker's directions are vague, and you may need to refer to the factory service manual for additional assitance.

One would think that such updates were accomplished for all affected vehicles years ago, but Murphy's law is always waiting in reserve.

However, that this is happening now - months after installation, with no immediate indications - suggests that it's not an issue involving the original build (or subsequent rebuild).

Howard brings up a good point about a possible leak in the cooler. I've not personally experienced this with a Packard with Ultramatic, but in later model vehicles. If coolant is introduced into the hydraulic circuits of an automatic transmission it will, at the very least, ruin the friction linings - requiring a full teardown and rebuild.

This is one of those things that's gonna require some further inspection on your part. No sense starting the engine until you can safely and comfortably crawl under the car.

Posted on: 2014/2/20 19:55
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Quite unlikely that it's a perforation of the cooler core, the internal section is stainless steel, never ever heard of one leaking.

Posted on: 2014/2/20 23:15
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

casey rog
See User information
Thanks,
Everyone for your insight. I'll try it again if it's warm enough this weekend. I'll run the engine till warm, turn off the engine and see where the leaking is coming from.
If it is the vent, I'll take off the radiator cap to relieve the coolant pressure. If the leaking stops I can assume the trans cooler is leaking.
But first, I'll recheck the dip stick cap.

Posted on: 2014/2/21 9:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
I managed to find a new and improved way to lose tranny fluid in a hurry. When I had just bought my '55 Clipper with a Twin Ultramatic in June 2012 and was driving back to Fairfax, VA, white smoke started bellowing from the car. My wife who was following me in our CTS freaked out and when I pulled over, I found out why.

Opening the hood I saw flames coming from the No. 8 plug. Transmission fluid had backed up the filling spout coating the spark-plug wire, and setting it ablaze. I was able to extinguish the fire very easily, but there was a small pool of fluid under the car after I moved it forward to check. The Clipper finished its run to Northern Virginia on the back of a flat-bed tow truck.

My mechanic checked out the transmission and found that an O-ring had slipped causing the fluid to back up. A simple servicing and a replacement spark plug wire and the car was back on the road again. I haven't had any more troubles with it (knock on wood).

After reading what seems like hundreds of feeds about the notorious Ultramatic, I do not take any chances. I service the transmission about every 1,000 miles and check the fluid level religiously.

I trust that transmission about as far as I can throw it!

Posted on: 2014/2/21 12:48
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi Casey:

Starting a car in the garage and not driving it is not a good practice. The cylinders will be starved of lubrication, the valve guides will gum and cause sticking, and the oil will saturate with water. The exhaust system will also rot out, and the chrome will corrode.

That said, just keep the battery charged, and dump some oil in the cylinders (preferably Marvel Oil, but others will vouch for Seafoam).

The only reason I can think of for your problem is oil foaming and/or a stuck open converter drain back valve. The Ultramatic has a rear pump which also serves as the lube pump. The rear pump only works when the car is being driven on the road. If something in the valve body has been starved for oil it may be causing a cavitation problem in the oil pump. Check the oil level cold (it should be higher than the full mark) and then drive the car around the block a few times.

Ultramatics are notorious for sticky valves that free up by themselves.

Starting a car after a long period of storage can be done using a squirt oil can with gasoline (in the absence of an electric pump). Just squirt five strokes into the carburetor and crank. Repeat the process until the motor keeps running.

Posted on: 2014/2/21 19:55
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

casey rog
See User information
Tim,
How much higher should the fluid level in the transmission read on the dip stick when the engine is cold?
I'm considering cutting a door in the floor above the the
dip stick so I can check the fluid level easily without jacking up the car.
thanks,
Casey

Posted on: 2014/2/28 23:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
I've recently installed the Ultramatic in my '51 and started the engine, after doing what the Manual says (- on page 26 of Ultramatic Section).

Initially you are instructed to place 7 quarts of ATF in the Ultramatic, adding the last quart 'more slowly' than the first six. Then start the engine and run it for 2 minutes to fill the converter. Last, add the remaining 5 quarts.

I have wondered if the converter might slowly (- or even quickly) drain back into the trans body, thereby 'over-filling' the trans . . . . and therefore leaking. Tim has mentioned the possibility of this happening.

If so, would the volume of ATF in the converter be sufficient to create an overflow?

I haven't had a chance to check if leakage happens (on mine) because I have had to drain the trans in order to fit a new gasket (twice!).

Posted on: 2014/3/1 6:34
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved